Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 12:34

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Low Carb Baker (Vancouver) - Caramel Pecan Muffins and French Vanilla Ice Cream

OMG, I just made the caramel pecan muffins from a mix I got from the Low Carb Baker!! They are *amazing*!!! They are fall apart tender and remind me of the rich pastry in butter tarts or those raisin biscuits/"scrumptions" you can get at Safeway, sorta. The ingredients listed are:

- Almond meal
- Soy protein isolate
- Soy flour
- Pecans
- Caramel Syrup
- Whey protein isolate
- Egg
- Baking powder
- Sucralose

You get a bag of dry mix + a container of what appears to be Da Vinci caramel syrup and you are instructed to add 1 egg, 1/3 cup Becel margarine, 2 Tbsps heavy cream and 3 Tbsps water. You are supposed to get 8 muffins at 3.2 net carbs each.

Well, I don't have any margarine in the house, so I used butter. The batter was very thick, so I added 2 extra Tbsps of water (and could have added more, maybe). I then proceeded to make 12 muffins, so that would be 2.13 carbs each. They are small (probly making 10 would be a better serving), but man alive! they taste good! More like dessert than a muffin, though.

I had also ordered their French Vanilla ice cream, which is 3.57 carbs per serving. It is really rock hard, so you have to leave it out on the counter for a while. It is very yellow in colour (extra eggs make it "french" vanilla, I think) and has teeny black spots in it which are from the real vanilla bean used. Flavour-wise it is very good, but I find it a bit gritty from the vanilla bean. Still, a good product especially when we can't find really low carb ice cream here yet.

These are the only 2 products I've tried from this supplier, but you can bet your bottom dollar, I'm going to try more ! Here's a link to the web page (and yes, it seems they sell to the US, too):

http://www.thelowcarbbaker.ca/

Oh, this is the US site: http://www.thelowcarbbaker.com/products/index.php

Last edited by jeanyyy : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 12:40.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Re: Low Carb Baker (Vancouver) - Caramel Pecan Muffins and French Vanilla Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally posted by jeanyyy
- Almond meal
- Soy protein isolate
- Soy flour
- Pecans
- Caramel Syrup
- Whey protein isolate
- Egg
- Baking powder
- Sucralose

Hmmmmm, technically speaking they are supposed to provide the Ingredients or the product name on a composed item like "caramel syrup".

I wonder what's in there...

Are those pecans in chunks or ground?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 18:00

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Small chunks. The syrup sure LOOKED like Da Vinci.