Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/202/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Thought I was a quick study ...

Looks like some experienced west coasters are still posting here. This is my post from the Introcuce Yourself Forum.

My wife and I just started yesterday.

The Atkins site is down it seems so the FAQ thing is not an option.

Basic question: what do you count and not count? I have a bit of trouble with Dr. A's writing style.

Do you count the carbs in the veggies?
In the cheese?
In eggs or meat products?
Of course count the sweetener for my now decaffinated coffee, although my cyclmate is only 0.5g, I decided to experiment with Splenda (2 to 3 x $) and Stevia (no mention of Stevia on either this host site or Atkins). Both of those show zero, do I need to restrict them still?
And what about Mayo? No mention in the "Acceptable Foods" article, but it seems it's "Ga'head" in "The Rules of Induction". (Mayo egg and hot sauce just save me tonight.)

My loved one has threatened to abandon LC and go back to WW. We just had a little scrap because I erred and bought some cottage cheese and told her it was allowed ... she'll be OK as long as she counts the carbs (4.2g or something) and doesn't go over 20 for the day, RIGHT? The "discussion" was really about the fact that I couldn't answer the foregoing questions.

Thanks to anyone who has some fast definitive answers.

Dez
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well....to head off future disagreements, it might be best to refer back to the chapter on induction.

I believe that mayo is listed under acceptable fats.

Quote:
Do you count the carbs in the veggies?

Yes.

Quote:
In the cheese?

Yes.

Quote:
In eggs or meat products?

Yes.

Basically, you count every carb you eat regardless of where it comes from.

Cottage cheese is not allowed on induction, but would be fine for ongoing weight loss. The majority of your carbs during induction should be coming from allowed veggies plus whatever you get from coffee, hard cheese (limited to 3-4 oz per day), cream (limited to a few tablespoons a day), lemon juice, salad dressings, eggs, etc...

You might find it helpful to purchase a good carb counter such as Corinne Netzer's Complete Book Of Food Counts and refer to it often until you get a good handle on how many carbs the foods you eat often contain per serving.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:53

Stats: 205/202/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Thanks Lisa ...

The egg thing REALLY had me confused. The "Acceptable Foods" list says "eat liberally". No mention of counting it. I didn't even think to look up the carb count.

Thanks again for getting me past the Atkins-speak.

Does anyone have any info on Stevia vs Splenda?

Dez

Last edited by Dez54 : Tue, May-27-03 at 20:56.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's probably why the veggies are limited to 3 cups per day on induction. 3 cups of veggies won't get you anywhere near 20 grams of carb. It's assumed that you will be "eating liberally" of other foods that while, admittedly, have small amounts of carbs, they do add up. Each egg has about 0.6 grams of carb, salad dressing such as ranch or bleu cheese have 1-2 grams of carb per tablespoon, cheese has 1 gram of carb per ounce and cream roughly 1 gram of carb per tablespoon. Coffee also has carbs (it IS a bean, after all); roughly 1 gram per 8 fluid ounces.
OTOH, if you're not getting close to 20 grams of carb with what you're eating, by all means feel free to have some more veggies.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:05
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Dez,

Here's a good website for Stevia info.

http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html

I have tried for years to enjoy it, but I just can't get past the bitter taste (and I like black licorice!) There are some people who love it, however and I think it's worth trying because it's not artificial.

Good luck to you and the missus!

Dig