Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 23:51
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default whey protein powder??

i see "why protein powder" being used a lot in recipes and especially in this forum. What basically is it? What's the carb count for it and which brand do you use or recommend? I'm really interested because people say this has very little or 0 carbs and its a great substitute.
Please reply!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 01:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

The whey protein powder that i have is essentially a shake mix. It is 1 carb - and you mix it with water, milk or in the case of low carb - cream... you can use it in recipes too, although i haven't experimented with that myself... The brand i buy is made in canada, and i don't think it is available in the US...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Designer Whey seems to be the most popular and generally available brand. It's carried at pretty much every health and nutrition store I've ever seen. I use the vanilla, which has 2 carbs and 90 cals per scoop, and counts are similar on the other flavors. Most people who make shakes doctor them up in some way, such as by adding frozen berries, cream, davinci syrup, or a little splenda and unsweetened cocoa.

Definitely pick some up -- not only is it great for shakes, but there are lots of cooking uses for it. I make a coffee cake whose main "flour" ingredient is protein powder, and I've seen several recipes for pancake, waffle, and donut batter. You can even use it to make your own protein bars!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 17:01

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I've seen soy protein, soy flour, whey protein and some others? that I can't remember. if I wanted just ONE (to ease the pain on my wallet), which type do you recommend starting with. I mostly want it for recipes and to be a homemade version of the Atkins bake mix.
Shakes would be a secondary occassional use.

Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but maybe you should go down to your local co op and see if they have those things in the bulk bins, then get a bit of each and see which one produces the best results. I know, the cost makes your head spin. About the only time I growl at my husband is when he tries to poach my low carb products, because he can eat whatever he wants and those things cost the earth!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:29

Stats: 236/236/200
BF:22%
Progress: 0%

Designer whey is my favorite.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 07:59

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Designer whey, is that the actual name?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 205/205/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 0%

how is that pronounced?

Is this a substitute for a meal?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:59

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Pronounce basically "way."

I use the Designer Whey (yes that is the name) to replace breakfast sometimes (protein shake).