Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:12

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Caffeine and Ketosis

Can drinking caffeine throw you out of ketosis? I don't normally consume any coffee, tea or soda, but I have been drinking some green tea, which I heard can aid weight loss. However, it does contain caffeine.

Although I don't use the ketostix anymore, I've noticed my urine doesn't seem to have the strong odor it did last week. I'm wondering if this means I'm out of ketosis? The only change I've made to my diet is the green tea, and I have one 8oz serving per day (for about the last 4 days).

I was having it only 2-3x a week but this week I just need the extra boost for any number of reasons which I will not go into here!

I know caffeine is discouraged in Atkins. However, the Atkins Accel product contains green tea extract, which of course includes caffeine, so there is a bit of a mixed message there.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I just go buy some ketostix to get a more accurate gauge. I've actually dropped a half a pound in the last 3 days (and it's even TOM), so I'm not panicked, but I don't want to throw myself out of ketosis and then have to spend 4 days getting back into it.

Last edited by Pugzilla : Thu, May-22-03 at 12:14.
Sponsored Links