Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 11:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation Hypoglycemia and HIGH carb diet ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

...... my son has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia which is the opposite to diabetes and he has to have a high-carb diet. The treatment for him is to eat raw cornflour before going to bed at night.
Paula, hypoglycemia is not the opposite to diabetes. Many practitioners consider hypoglycemia and diabetes to be different manifestations of the SAME thing, which is a dysregulation of the insulin system. In fact, in adults, hypoglycemia is often called "pre-diabetes".

Although the word "hypoglycemia" means low blood sugar, and indeed that's the presenting symptom ... the underlying cause is TOO MUCH INSULIN. Sugar or refined starch carbs are eaten, and the pancreas over-reacts by pumping out excessive insulin very quickly ... the blood sugar plummets, and the person crashes and experiences the upleasant effects. However, there's still all this insulin circulating .... but the sugar is dangerously low. So, the pancreas responds by pumping out GLUCAGON, forcing the liver to release glycogen (stored sugar). It's a vicious cycle ... and if left untreated ... can lead to diabetes --- the pancreas wears out, or the body becomes insulin resistant. Granted, these effects are most likely in adults, but hypoglycemia in a child is a warning sign!!

The treatment is the exact OPPOSITE to what has been recommended for your son. The standard, world-recognised diet for Hypoglycemia is the same as for diabetes!! Sugars and refined starch carbs, such as that cornflour MUST be eliminated. Think about it ... he consumes the cornflour at bedtime ... because it is a highly refined starch carb, might just as well be sugar ....... he goes to bed, his blood sugar skyrockets from ingesting the carbs (which makes him feel better TEMPORARILY), insulin floods into his bloodstream, and then he goes all night long in a low blood sugar state, and too much insulin!!

Although giving sugar or the starch will bring about a quick fix, in the longterm it will do more harm than good. For longterm control of his insulin and blood sugar, it's vital that all sugars and refined carbs be eliminated from his diet. Frequent smaller meals and snacks, with a balance of protein and fats. The carbs he consumes should be high-fiber, such as whole grains, wholemeal breads, whole fruits and vegetables (not juices), pulses and starchy vegetables. It's not necessary for him to follow a strict lowcarb diet, but it's vital that every effort be made to keep the blood sugar DOWN, and STABLE to avoid dips and surges, and to prevent the excess production of insulin.

Here are some good sites to explain Hypoglycemia further -
  • the NIDDK, National Diabetes Information ... although this is more for hypoglycemia that can accompany diabetes, it gives good explanations of other causes of the syndrome. Regardless, the diet is the same, eliminate refined carbs and keep blood sugar stable.
  • Hypoglycemia Treatment. This is a well-researched personal site from someone who has Hypoglycemia, with links to further resources.
  • Hypoglycemia Information is another personal page, but excellent practical information, and more links.
I hope your son is feeling better soon, and hopefully some control can be had over this unpleasant syndrome ... and can prevent complications down the road.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-01, 12:33

Plan: Diabetes Control/own adaptation
Stats: 343/270/ 200
BF:
Progress:
Default Doesn't make sense....

I was reading your post, Doreen, that makes great sense. What doesn't make sense is to recommend the carbo (the doctors recommendation, not yours) without a base to help the carbo last longer.

According to my dietician and what I have learned about insulin imbalances (well, mostly the diabetic point of view, anyway), when you eat an amount of carbos(like a grain product), you should have something with it (protien, milk, fat, etc.) to keep it stable longer and from spiking and dropping so fast. Regular meals with consistant carbos and consistant times with snack when needed is what I was told would help to regulate, as much as diet alone can regulate blood sugars.

I always thought of diabetes as an imbalance in the processing of blood sugar and insulin. I know that both hypo and hyperglycemia are both hazzardous to the body.

Paula, I wish you the very best with your son. I know how scary it can be, when facing this difficulty, and it's always worse when it's your kids.

Doreen, EXCELLENT information. You teach me so much.