Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/115 Female 5'0"
BF:33%/32%/22.2%
Progress: 0%
Default Either not enough calories or too much

I've found that a little lately, I have eiter been consuming around 1400 calories or 2200! I cannot seem to get to a healthy amount! What do you think? I think maybe I am having more htan what Calorieking stated due to my lack of including cooking oils (usually minimal) . I have no clue how to moder ate myself. I either have very few carbs or a bunch, never right aroud the perfect 20, and I have added in two or three small strawbarries with a little whipped cream every morning with my omelete. That gives me a few, but I don't know how to get 20 carbs from vegetables alone! I eat a lot of vegetables, and I still don't get that many carbs from them, and I usually end up eating something completely off limits. I found that once I stopped eating a bunch of peanut butter, My carb count plummeted. Also, does fiber convert into glucose? And how much are we supposed to have? I have no clue, and have been getting aound 5 grams a day from psyllum husk fiber. ERGGG! I don't know what to do . Is it bad to eat few calories?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 05:58

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Have you tried www.fitday.com ? That will help you figure out your calories and carbs...
As for calories, you're supposed to have 10 - 12 times your weight...

You don't have to have a "perfect 20", can be 17 or 21.. Are you eating just salad? (would take like 10 cups to get 20carbs, and you're only allowed 3 cups of salad)... Carbs come from other things then vegies too...so try fitday because ya might be off.. Have you read the book? Because you shouldn't even be having strawberries on induction..

You might be eating 1400 one day because you're eating more fat that day and you feel more fill.. Then on the 2000 days you're not eating as much fat? Or you think you're hungry and getting so called "hungerpains" when you're really thirsty.... So try drinking more water too

Only things I can think of, hope that helps
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 07:40
Urban Jungle Denizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Karrah,

Fiber does NOT convert into glucose - you should subtract dietary fiber from your carb count (where it was included to begin with, of course!). AND - it is good for you, so you should have a LOT of fiber.

I'm no expert at calorie counting, but it seems you are just out of range - but close! If you track what you eat with fitday or any other method, I'm sure you'll get there. I guess you should be targeting about 1700-1800 calories a day.

But I wouldn't sweat the calories so much - concetrate on getting the carbs right - everything else should fall into place. (I also find it odd you arent' getting enough from veggies - 20 isn't hard to reach! Do you eat onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc? or just lettuce?)

Good luck!