Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%
Default I want

I'm in my 8th week of induction and I feel like I"m doing really well. I've lost 18-19 lbs since Feb. 2. I stay between 16-20 carbs and I'm going hungry.

But I'm starting to miss Rice and Gravy and a good peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich and a BIG glass of milk would be good. I even dreamed of a big glass of milk last night. I know its all a mental thing but thats what I want.

Lora
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:14

Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default mmmmmmmmmmmmmm peanut butter

Somebody makes a LC bar that's peanut butter and jelly flavored... it's pretty good... can't remember the brand.

I know what you mean about the big glass of ice cold milk... I didn't drink it that often before... but now I think about it...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:15

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hmmm...can't help you out on the milk (never liked it myself) but how about some alternatives for the other things you miss? You could do peanut butter and SF jelly rolled up on a low-carb tortilla. And if you've never tried it, you probably won't believe this (I sure didn't!), but cauliflower makes an AWESOME rice substitution. Just whip it around a little in a food processor until it's in little bitty bits and stir-fry it in a skillet with whatever else you like. Voila...fried rice! And don't forget the mock mashed potatoes using cauliflower. They're better than the real thing, IMHO. You have to get a little creative but you can find good substitutes for most things on this WOE. Browse around the kitchen forums for other ideas.

Tricia
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:41

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I've replaced rice with mashed cauliflower... and it's my greatest find yet! I drown it in curry dishes, and it soaks up the yummies just like rice! I really recommend this.. and I've never been a fan of cauliflower before! As for gravy.. you can make your own and just omit the starches. It won't be as thick, but you'll at least enjoy the full flavor. As for milk.. I've been trying to figure that one out myself. I've been thinking of using heavy cream and diluting it with water, and shaking it up really good. I haven't tried it out yet... but it might be an idea for you to try.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 15:25

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

CarbSolutions is the brand of the bar that comes in peanut putter and jelly flavor.

i found lc bread recently. not bad, especially with some pb and sugar free jelly.

now me, i hate the mashed cauliflower, but have not tried the cauliflower rice yet.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 15:28

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

How do you cook the cauliflower without it stinking up the house?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

That's so funny. I don't mind the smell. But there are a couple of ways I do it. I boil the cauliflower to make rice or mashed potatoes substitutes. When I'm in a rush, I'll toss some flowerets in a microwavable bowl with a bit of water and nuke it for about 3 minutes. Sometimes I'll cook it in the oven... just bake it with some olive oil!