Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: A little of everything
Stats: 134/131/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Question Whey Low Sweetener

Has anyone tried Whey Low sweetener? I want to know if it is OK like Stevia. I have been reminded that I must give up Splenda. I use it in my decaf tea and coffee and absolutley can not stand them without a sweet taste. Stevia is pricey around here compared to Splenda or Whey Low, so I am thinking Whey Low might be the way to go. I have seen poitive remarks about it's taste on another board but wonder if it fits in SP woe and if it has effect on insulin etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 167/159/112
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Curious

Why do U have to give up splenda? thats what I am using?? Is it bad on this diet? thanks jacy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: A little of everything
Stats: 134/131/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 38%

DS does not recommend any artificial sweetener, including Splenda, which in part, is derived from sucralose. She suggests Stevia (which is a plant). It comes in powder, liquid or leaf form. It's found at most health food stores. I have to say that it has a very bitter aftertaste, so I think by the time I finish my jar, I will be off all sweeteners! It makes me not want to drink my coffee or tea because it does not have the same sweet taste as sugar or artificial sweeteners. I am not one of those who tasted an aftertaste with Splenda, so I thought I had hit the jackpot! Oh well. Some people use Stevia without any problem, so you may want to give it a try.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 07:08

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%
Default Whey Low

I use this product and it tasts exactly like sugar. It is not no calorie but neither is Splenda. A Splenda packet is 1 carb and 1 teaspoon Whey Low is 1 carb.

This product give the exact same results in cooking and baking as sugar. It really seems too good to be true. I do use Splenda but when I consider the carb grams are the same, I tend to use the Whey Low especially for cooking and baking.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 08:20

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Re: stevia being bitter. It's an herb so you can get varying purities and formulations. I'm not crazy about the powder I've had, it's ok, but IF you use too much - even a tiny bit too much - it can be bitter.

I prefer the liquid drops since I use it to sweeten drinks or liquid items,mostly. I can control the dosage much easier with the dropper. I like NuNaturals Alcohol Free Stevia the best. Cheaper is not better (or the same) when you're buying herbs or supplements.

Jacy: all the SP books talk about getting off sugar substitutes and SP II goes more into the specifics about how to go about doing it (substituting fruit for all sugar cravings, etc.).

asalvato: SP is based on eating a totally natural, whole food, organic diet that promotes healing - that's really more of the focus instead of strictly counting carbs. We DO count carbs but it's a whole different ball game than the other lc plans.

JInx

Last edited by MsJinx : Sat, Jul-05-03 at 08:23.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:41

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

There are people on the www.suzannesomers.com website in the discussion board that have used Whey-Low. It is available from www.wheylow.com.

Some people on that board also use crystalline fructose, which is also a low-glycemic product.