Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default ? about flour

Hello Out There!

I have a recipe for coconut macaroons that calls for just 2 TBS of flour. I have tried making them with Atkins baking mix and they taste like - well Atkins baking mix - if you know what I mean. The recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies so there is really very little flour per cookie. Is this really cheating?

Just for the record, I have tried a few different recipes including the "cream cheese" macaroon recipe from this site which were and absolute disaster! Personnally I think the recipe I have with the flour in it is best - probably because of the flour (lol)!

And does anyone else think that the Splenda in the packets taste different (more chemically) than the Splenda in the box? Or is it my imagination?

Thanks,
ckx4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 22:55
Undercover Goddess

Stats: 360/304.2/180 Female 71 inches
BF:Half Price Special
Progress: 31%
Talking

Hi! If I were making that recipe I would not have any qualms about using the flour - after all it is only two tbs for the entire dish and the carb count would be significantly less per cookie - as long as your weren't going to eat the entire batch! If it would make you feel better you should run the numbers and see what the approximate carb count would be for each cookie. Or perhaps slightly reduce the carbs by using a combination of flours like half regular flour and half almond or oat flour and see what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Modified
Stats: 295/285.4/260 Male 193
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Macaroons.....mmmmm....

If its not some ancient, passed-through-the-family-since-your-great great great great grandmother-was-a-baby-secret recipe....PLEASE PASS IT ON....macaroons are one of my (and my wifes) most favorite snacks....

I actually just posted a pancake recipe with some regular white flour in it in the 'Breakfast Ideas' forum..

2 Tbsp per recipe? Thats only 12 grams of carbs isn't it? Divided over 14 cookies makes it just under 1 gm per cookie...pretty small amount considering....

I do think the Splenda packets do have a chemical taste that I don't notice in my boxed supply....phew...glad I'm not the only one...

Take 'er easy...

John
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 15:25
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Can you substitute soy flour or some of the other nut flours?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:07

Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Post Coconut macaroons

Hi John,

No, it not a super secret ancient family recipe - its straight out of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook with a Splenda substitution.

I'm pretty new at this forum stuff and I am not sure but I think I am suppose to post recipies as seperate threads but I'll put it here and post it ~ I hope that is the right thing to do! Let me know if it's not. I think these come out to about 1.5 grams per cookie.

2 egg whites
2/3 cup Splenda
2 TBS Flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1+1/2 Cup unsweetened coconut(shredded)

Preheat oven to 325(F) and grease some cookie sheets. Beat egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks, gradually beat in Splenda. Beat in flour, salt and vanilla and coconut extracts. Stir is coconut.

Drop mounds of the mixture onto cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the sheets.
Makes about 25 cookies.

For Chocolate Coconut Macaroons: add 1 ounce of melted unsweetened chocolate to the mixture when you add the coconut.

Hint: The only unsweetened coconut I can find is usually pretty dry. Measure what you need into a small microwavable bowl - add a few tablespoons of water and stir, cover loosely and microwave for about 30 second - stir again. repeat with more water if neccessary. Then remeasure for your recipe- you'll find you have greatly increased the volume.

Hope you like them.

Rosemary

Last edited by ckx4 : Tue, Mar-18-03 at 20:10.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 23:55

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I have made these with spenda before and they are good and there is NO FLOUR!

Here is the link, it is a Marth Stewart recipe.

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.j...rue&resultNo=10