Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 20:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152.5/130/110
BF:
Progress: 53%
Unhappy Carb Bar question

This may seem to be a dumb question, but how is everyone getting away with eating carb bars during induction?? I have researched everyone I have found in my stores even carbolite and they are full of carbs, like over 15 a bar and only having 20 a day how do you do that??

I have been on induction for 4 weeks and have lost 14.5 pounds so far. If anyone can tell me how they eat them and still stay under 20 I would greatly appreciate it!

I did buy carb solutions high protein drinks today. Vanilla and iced cappucino. Thye are really good and only 3 grams each. Helps my coffe and chocolate craving.

The bars look so good, I just am in shock at the carbs listed, am I reading it wrong. What brand do you reccomend and still stay in limits or do I need to forget it until I find my carb limit?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think you'd be wise to stay away from the bars as long as possible. I have had 12 Atkins bars in the freezer for the last year and ONLY use them when life gets frantic & I have NO time to eat.

Most of the carbs are 'sugar alcohols' which aren't supposed to affect insulin and blood sugar. They are allowed to list themselves as having only 2 to 3 'effective carbs'.

So you are very smart to stay away from them . I don't think they are recommended for Induction - although the latest book may say they're OK.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 20:54

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Most of the carb bars have anywhere from 1 to 3 "net carbs" in them. Yes they are high in overall carbs, but most of the carbs come from fiber and sugar alcohol....both of which are not supposed to affect your blood sugar levels.

My suggestion is simple....don't eat them unless you must. I keep a supply around for those days where I just don't have time to eat a meal, but you will lose better without them. Everything on this way of eating does vary by person to person a bit though, so try for yourself! I for one can eat 12 ounces of cheese a day and still lose, some people can barely eat any.