Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/130/110 Female 1.67
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default I'm so confused...Help!

Hi everyone!

Everything seems to go well..I feel that I have recovered from my depression (although it kicks in from time to time): I think I owe this to my new way of eating besides the clear conscience of knowing I'm not sabotaging my life any more! Also I don't crave anything, and I don't feel like a hungry bee..
This was the good news.

A thread confused me so bad. It was in "General Low Carb Forum" and a user asked if too much protein causes an insulin release...Now, is there anything like "too much protein" really? I don't suffer from any illness, am only 24 so I think I can bear with loads of protein..At least until I get rid of all the weight. I am so ignorant about this issue that I've thought that e.g a 100gr chicken equals more or less to 100gr protein (don't laugh at me plz ) Another thing is that, I'm not sure about "ounce" ,doesit equal to 30gr?

Here is what I ate today +what I plan to eat, I eat more or less
the same things, in the same amounts everyday:

Breakfast: Omelet w 2 eggs and some meat (chicken, or salami)
lemon juice made w 3 organic lemons, greek coffee

Lunch: Chicken (~400-450gr!!)salad w 3 teaspoons of spinach and 1 teaspoon yoghurt+ olive oil & soja added a little bit

In the afternoon maybe tea with some milk

Dinner: 2-3 eggs and max. 2 cucumber

Late Snack: Egg depending on my hunger level (1-2-3)

Thank you all in advance! and wish you all the discipline and determination in the world!

Love,Pinq
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 07:54
Registered Member

Stats: 202/181/154 Female 68 inches
BF:No idea!!
Progress: 44%
Smile Confusion helper!!

Hi there!
I have recently started Atkins again - so I do know quite a bit -I did it for about 18 months so I might be able to help you with a few things!
To start-yes-30g is an ounce/oz.
Lemon juice does have carb in it -230ml has 19.5- so if you have 3 lemons that's probably about 60ml-5g of carb.
Why dont you try peppermint or green tea insted of that or the greek coffee?Peppermint tea really helps aid digestion and flattens the tummy!!
Also if you are having alot of milk in your tea that will up your carbs-1tbsp is 1.3 g so that could be 5g if you like milky tea like me!!
Also the yoghurt could be sustituted for full fat mayonnaise and tastes a whole lot better!
Soya sauce is high in salt and so could make you dehyrate if you aren't drinking enough water-I was told 2 litres a day is good.
Dont you find eating the same thing boring?I would vary your lunches and dinners otherwise you will get bored.
Why not try Tuna mixed with mayo and grated cheesewith mixed salad for luch and some steak or lamb chops or chicken with a cream sauce with broccoli or another salad?
I were you I would b uy a copy of the book to refresh your memory.I am re-reading mine and am re-learning stuff I forgot.
Hope that helped a bit.I am sure others can advise on the rest!
Good luck.
Lalla
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 11:46

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Pinq,

As you are doing Atkins eat all the protein you want! Protein does not cause insulin to be released (to my knowledge). Where are you in Europe - I'm in Belarus?

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 12:21

Stats: 150/130/110 Female 1.67
BF:
Progress: 50%
Wink Thank You!

Hello Lallabrown & Robert!

Thank you very much for your replies.

Lallabrown: You gave me very valuable information and saved me from trouble! I would have never thought the three lemons I squeeze and drink daily are so high in carb. Following your advice for a flat tummy, I bought myself green tea today! Hm, I love milky tea (very English, isnt it? ) , but I'll have to add the milk in teaspoons from now on. Also, I had no idea that the soya sauce is high in salt, I've thought about carbs only..I wrote down the menus u've suggested and will definately try them, yes, although feels safe, eating the same stuff every day may become soon really boring

Robert: U got me the great news! Protein keeps me from craving, and the feeling of needing a binge ..It's strange but, when I know I can eat as much as I can (protein of course), the idea already takes my apetite away )
By the way, I am from Cyprus, not very far from you..I'm more like in Eastern Mediterranean

~~ Pinq ~~
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'm new here also, but I can say this with certainty - you CAN eat too much protein. Excess protein will be converted to glucose. If you eat too much protein you will get an insulin surge, and can knock yourself out of ketosis. The key is that Atkins says to stop eating when you feel satisfied (NOT stuffed). If you do this, and eat enough fat so that you fill up easily, you will not eat too much protein.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 18:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

30 grams equals one ounce, but that doesn't mean that if you eat 4 ounces of meat you've eaten 120 grams of protein. Meat contains other things such as water and fat and so will have varying amounts of grams of protein per ounce.
I agree that it is possible to eat too much protein, but what constitutes too much varies from person to person and is usually way more than an average person can comfortably consume.
For over a year, I wasn't concerned about how much protein was too much. I ate until I was satisfied and learned to know when that was and I was losing at a decent pace. Once I started using Fitday, I discovered that I was eating on average about 100 grams of protein a day...just about right for a person with my lean body mass.
Overall, I wouldn't be worried or even concerned about it unless you reach a point where you have stalled and have ruled out all other possible causes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 01:07

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Excess protein will be converted to glucose. If you eat too much protein you will get an insulin surge, and can knock yourself out of ketosis.

It is true that the body can convert protein into glucose but it is a slow and inefficient process. As such I doubt if it could cause and 'insulin surge'.

I would be very interested if anyone could show me any report or study where this is discussed.