Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%
Default carb cutters ?

hi all, does anyone know about carb blockers? i use them everyday. they say they do not block sugar but starch. has anyone else used them. as far as my system goes i used them before and all starches passed through quickly if you know what i mean. so they seam to be working. dont know???????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 15:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Aimie!

I wouldn't recommend carb blockers as a rule. If you are keeping your carbs low, what carbs are left to block other than the beneficial ones you are eating from veggies, right? Also, foods that are forced to move quickly through your system aren't given enough time for their nutrients to be absorbed. This includes the good foods that you eat as well as the bad since they are all moving through at the same pace and could lead to malnutrition or a deficiency in vitamins and minerals. Better to eat right and avoid the chemicals.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 16:05

hi lisa, im trying to eat right. from the readings im eating what everyone else eats. i take a multi vitamin and fish oil every day. the carb blockers i use are carb cutters. they are all natural and have 4 metabolism booster vitamins in them too. they only will push through starches. i do not eat any starches unless i absolutely have to. thats when i take a carb cutter. Thanks for the info. check out the web site and let me know what you think.
www.hnsglobal.com

ps. i was wondering my mouth is metalic (ketosis) but it comes and goes from day to day and sometimes during the day it goes away and comes back the same day. how can that be possible?

Last edited by aimie : Thu, Jan-23-03 at 16:16.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 16:39

BF:

Aimie...

I honestly still don't see a need for it if you are following a low carb lifestyle correctly.
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how this product "shuttles newly consumed carbs into the cells to be burned for energy instead of being turned into fat" as the product claims and bypasses the insulin response produced by eating too many carbs. The study doesn't go into the mechanism of action for the product. From the advertisement, it seems to be marketed towards those that literally want to have their cake and eat it too.
Also...it's not just the carbs moving through your system at double time (and then some!). Food gets mixed together when it's eaten and it all moves through the intestinal tract together; the body has no way of knowing which waste products are carbs and which are not and so they all move through too quickly and you run the risk of not getting the nutrients you need from the food you eat because it's all going through your system too fast.
If it were me, I'd use the money I would have spent on this product to buy a few nice steaks or some shrimp and save myself the run to the ladies room.
Ketosis is not a steady process; you will produce more ketones and some times of the day than others which will explain the transient nature of the metallic taste in your mouth. I'm sure that if you were to test your urine for ketones throughout the day, you'd find that you were producing different levels each time. It's just the nature of the process.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:46

i think you are right on target. thanks for the info. you have lost a lot. that is great. i need to loose 50lbs. i am planning a valentines dinner for our sunday school. everyone wants spagetti so i had no choice. i will probably test the pills then. maybe i will have the strength to resist and have a salad instead. i will probley not buy any more. the ones i have will last a long time concidering i only will use them for emergencies. i know those emergencies will lead to cravings i have overcome. i am going to try hard. again i appreciate all the great info.
i will look for more of your inputs.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 06:45
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Have the spagehetti sauce, but not the noodles, bring fired strips of zucchini for your noodles. MOst sauces are low in carbs, esp if homemade. I know its hard in communal social situations. I went to a staff pot luck baby shower last night and I was terrified that I would cheat big time and pay for it later. But there were trays of nacho dip, you know ground meat, cheese ,veggies and cream cheese, and salads and meatballs. And while I couldn';t be sure these things were totally low carb, they were better than eating the desserts and pastas and potatoes. Good luck again and let us know how the spahetti goes.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:09

thank you i feel better already. i feel like i wont cheat knowing i have to answer to you all instead of just myself hahaha. I will probably eat the salad. im making all of the spagetti so i will make a low carb sauce. for myself and try it with some pork rinds or try the zucini thing. i have never eaten any so any preparation tecniques will be much appreciated.

#8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:24

BF:
Default Instead of spaghetti...

Try some spaghetti squash instead! Split the squash in half, scoop out the seeds then invert on a baking sheet (cut side down) or microwave safe dish and cook until the insides can be pulled out with a fork like spaghetti strands. Delicious with Alfredo sauce!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:51

thanks i will try it!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 11:15
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, spaghetti squash is great, but I think it's a bit high in carbs. I couldn't find the count, does anyone have that handy dandy carb counting book? As for the zucchini, you just make thin strips with a carrot peeler including the skin. Fry in some butter in small batches, keep them on the firm side. They are good on their own with salt, and pepper and parmesan cheese. I use the squash too. Very Yummy! Also, spaghetti sauce it good on shredded lettuce!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 15:18

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Hi Foxylady,

Spaghetti squash facts:

1/2 cup has 23 cals, 5 carbs and 1 protein. I think if it saves you from "cheating" and you count the carbs, you should do just fine.

Actually spaghetti squash is one of the least carb laden ones according to my carb book. Acorn has 15, butternut has 11 and hubbard has 8. All in 1/2 cup servings.

Magic
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 06:03
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks magic for the carb counts.