Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 18:39

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation Survived Christmas, now what?

Well, Hi everyone. How are you doing?

I did some serious binge eating over the holidays, but most of it low carb, desserts etc all LC. My dog got really sick on Christmas eve and I had 2 awful days waiting for my vet to open. I didn't realize how sick she was or I would have called him, holiday or not. She is still there with an IV for fluids and antibiotics, no food or water. She has pancreatitis and is in bad shape.

So, through it all I managed to not gain anything, still the same 189 I was last month. The question is how to get back on track.
I'm think I'll have to work up the energy to go back on induction for a few weeks.Haven't lost or gained for 6 weeks.

Any ideas or inspiration is welcome. All the best to everyone and their families for the coming new year.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 17:56

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

HLFAN,

Sorry to hear about your dog! I hope she recovers soon!

One thing that came to mind when I read your post was that you need to be careful with Induction, that after going on it too many times it isnt as effective as the first time.

I am not sure about the validity of that, but you may want to check it out. The binge itself may help to break the stall, and once you are more relaxed and not as stressed about your dog maybe things will slide into place.

Sounds like you are just in a stall, keep at it and with a bit of patience I am sure things will turn around!
d
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-02, 22:34

Talking thanks

Thanks, D. I went to the vet yesterday thinking I would take her home but the vet said no, can't take her yet. So am hoping to get her back tomorrow evening after work!!Still on IV etc. One good thing is that my daughter works there so they keep the dog with them in the main treatment room so she isn't alone all day. I sure miss her. This morning I got up early to take her out and even got my boots on.

Yes, carb-creep is really happening. I have only gone through induction once back in Sept. So I don't think doing it again could hurt, at least to get back on track. I notice that with too many choices in food I tend to go way off track. However, I am eating good food, no junk, so that's probably why I haven't gained back anything. Just notice I am not drinking anywhere near enough water and am having lots of coffee etc.

Just getting lazy and complacent again.

Well, Happy New Year!! All the best and see you next year.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Hi HLFAN! I sure hope your dog gets better. It sounds like you might have caught it early enough to get some help. We lost our much loved cat "Vermin" last summer to pancreatitis. He hadn't been sick at all and then it just happened so quickly. My dog is 16, and seems fine but I really feel ill when I realize that he cannot go on forever. We did get two new kittens and they are fabulous. We treat our animals like children and losing Vermin was just horrible. We still miss him.

Sounds like you did pretty good over the holidays. I gained three pounds - oh well. I don't have any great advice but I am sure glad the holidays are over!!!!!! I have gotten back on it okay, but I underestimated how hard it would be to get back on this WOL 100%. The forum was a terrific help, because many of us had difficulty and are pulling out of it.

Best of luck to you and your puppy!

Cindi
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 11:56

Talking

Hi Cindi and Deze, thanks for kind words about the dog. She is home and doing really well. Not 100% herself yet but pretty lively and running around. she isn't crazy about her new diet. It's called Gastro, easy to digest for liver and pancreatic problems.

All these diets are chicken and Casey is a beef eater. But she picks at it and evenually eats it all during the day. She's lost some weight and looks pretty good. Thanks for the concern.

I started back at the gym last week. Am very happy to see my weight has stablized. Now I'm back on WOL 100% and am cutting out the little extras. Hope to see some movement soon.

Bye for now
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-13-03, 12:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

HLFAN
Something you might not want to hear right now but it might help your attitude. If you routinely gain weight during the winter w/o LC, you might be subject to winter weight gain syndrome (a varient of SAD). Winter weight gain syndrome people gain weight and store it during the winter and have an almost impossible time releasing or losing any fat until spring. They can go on a very low calorie diet and maintain. They can go on lc and maintain or even gain. If this is you, you might just have to stay on track and wait until spring to see the scale move.

Hope your dog gets well and is back home soon.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:20

Unhappy sad

You're so right. I do get very blue in the winter. I love to garden and take my dog for long walks in the ravine. In the winter I sleep alot more and eat alot more too.

However, I am very happy that I seem to be maintaning well. not losing but not gaining either. Started back at the gym, feel better already. Some excersize really helps the mental state, feel more usefull at least.

Thanks for the reply. I have Friday off and am going to look for one of those special lights. Any idea where to get one? My Doctor had no idea although he has heard of them. The phone book also was no help. If you know please let me know,

Many thanks, see ya soon,

Last edited by HLFAN : Wed, Jan-15-03 at 18:21.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 22:09

Stats: 240/220/140
BF:?
Default lighting your house skies up!

Hi, HLFAN, there is a site called debmar that has some of those lights. I read the board rules a while back and I think it said something about not posting www's so how about I just say, put the www in front of debmar and add the .com. Hmm, hope that is allowed. Don't want to be kicked off the board.
I dislike winter for the darkness and I think I gain weight more at that time because I feel slightly glum, or you could say, mildly depressed and this has me moving less and eating more. Sigh, spring is just around the corner here so I am happy. We didn't have one bit of snow so far, just alot of rain. I have been looking at my seed cataloges and checking off what I should be ordering soon. Glad to here your puppy is better too.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 08:02

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%

Good Morning HLFAN!

Just wanted to pop in and check up on the puppy dog. Hope he is feeling much better! Sure sounds like it.

Yep, these winters are tough. Even though I am in Florida, we are having a much colder season and people here just aren't used to it. Spring is on the way!

Take Care - Cindi
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I got mine from sunbox through the internet. I hope you can get one and feel better soon. Staying on plan is the way to stay sane.