Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 00:02

Plan: Atkins---> CAD!
Stats: 126/116/116
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Chewing Gum & Feeling Guilty

Right now I feel so *satisfied*, that I do feel like my stomach might just explode. Not sure what did it...maybe it was the ice cream sundae? *sigh*. I feel so guilty! Had a good day, for breakfast only 2 slices of cheese (woke up near noon), and late lunch was tuna with a bit of mayo, a lettuce salad, and a serving of sugar free jello; for dinner I had a steak, celery salad with a handful of black olives..and yeah the dreaded ice cream sundae. Since it is my first week of CAD, I feel as if my "carb" serving of my RM should be sweets, but I think it's just me getting all excited that I can have some sugar and not be imprisioned in Atkins induction! I know it'll pass. I havent gained or lost a pound. I love it though! I'm maintaining my weight and eating ice cream? ah heaven!

anyway sorry about that little outburst-needed to share! Now I do have a question though. I've always been an avid gum chewer. EXTRA SUGARLESS GUM. I had given it up, but it's damn nearly impossible! does CAD allow gum chewing? I'm restricting it to 2 sticks of gum a day (ha I sound like a cig addict), any thoughts?

hope all of you have a great rest of weekend!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 01:27

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict's Diet
Stats: 186/173/150
BF:
Progress: 36%

CAD mentions that some sugar substitutes will cause hunger and insulin spikes for those who have a severe addiction like me. I had a cup of coffee with Splenda on one of my first days, and I immediately knew I had done something wrong because I got extremely hungry.

So for me, gum and even sugar-free jello are out, at least for now. Maybe after my first two weeks, I will see if the reaction is the same.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%
Default Artificial Sweeteners

Vanessa,

Everybody reacts differently, the Hellers say that AS can cause certain reactions (such as insulin spikes) in some people (like flitter), and other things as well, like alchohol, caffeine, or MSG. You might react to some but not others.

I personally don't have the reaction to AS, but I do use Splenda instead of Aspartame, it's better for you and it tastes better. Unfortunately I have not found ANY chewing gum or breath mints made using Splenda. I'm not much of a gum chewer but I have had to curtail my use of breath mints :-(.

At any rate, you need to listen to your own body to determine whether it affects you or not. If you feel hungry after chewing, it probably affects you and you should not use it.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 08:47

Plan: Atkins---> CAD!
Stats: 126/116/116
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks guys =)

So far I've found that my body does not react to sugar subs; if i keep it up to a limit. While on Atkins I felt so sugar deprived that I started eating sugar free jello and chrystal light (juice) all day..of course that caused a stall, but I knew it wasn't normal to be addicted to sugar to that extreme. While on CAD I chew gum maybe mid afternoon when it's getting close to dinner time, and that's maybe about it.

So far I've maintained the weight I've lost on Atkins; I can't believe it! I keep getting on the scale to make sure it's correct. I do eat less than while I was on Atkins as well..not sure why..this morning I still feel the RM meal in my stomach..not going to eat breakfast, just a cup of coffee to get me going for the day!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 09:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Chewing gum is a no, no on CAD/CALP not just because of the AS but because the act of chewing and tasting sweet starts an insulin reaction and and hunger. To your body, if you are chewing something and it is sweet, it is food!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 10:06
Registered Member

Stats: 146/126.1/120
BF:26.5
Progress: 77%

Zule -- thanks for setting the record straight.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 12:39

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I've also heard along time ago that when you chew gum, your body thinks it is chewing food, so it preps itself for it (ie. releases insulin, increase stomach acid). This was way before I started CAD or any lowcarb diet, so if I HAVE to chew gum, it's gonna be during or after a CM, so my body actually does get food. I am not sure how my body is reacting to it, cause I've lost quite a bit of weight, so only a few days where I didn't lose.

All in all, it is a habit that you'll probably have to nix. I know it's hard, cause I am a gum "addict" too. It sucks, but for me, definitely worth it.