Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 15:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/230/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default pumpkin

i was reading somewhere on the forum about people using whip cream and pumpkin as a dessert treat.I know atkins says it`s ok to have pumpkin.i was wondering cause i was reading the carb content on a can of pumpkin which was 10 gr per serving and there was 3 servings per can.Sounds like it would be better to cut up your own fresh pumpkin ,but does anyone know the carb content of a serving of pumpkin that way.Thanks for any feedback,cause i was excited once i thought i could make my own pumkin pie without the crust,but was dissapointed when i read the label.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 16:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Stoogy!

Did you remember to subtract the fiber from the carb count or perhaps get a can of pumpkin pie filling instead of pure canned pumpkin? The kind I have (Libby's brand) has 9 grams of carb per 1/2 cup with 5 grams of fiber for a net carb count of 4 grams per 1/2 cup. There are 3.5 servings per can for a total of 14 grams of carb for the whole can. Throw in a couple of eggs for 1.5 grams of carb 1 cup of cream for 6.5 grams of carb, 3/4 cup of Splenda for 18 grams of carb and some spices and you have pumpkin pie without the crust for a total of 40 grams of carb. Six servings would be 6.6 grams of carb each, 8 servings would be 5 grams of carb each. HTH
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 16:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Stoogy,

Well pumpkin will have some carbs in it just as all fruits and veggies do but it is a far cry from eating a full sugared apple pie. There are a couple recipies on this website for pumpkin desserts. Check them out by going to the orange bar and choosing recipies. A good alternative would also be a cheesecake. I don't know anyone who doesn't like that!