Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:06

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Anyone following the "Heavin Formula" (aka: Curves) diet?

I just joined up with Curves last week. Things are still new for me. I am curious as to how many of you are doing the Curves diet called "The Heavin Formula". It is low carb, but the big difference I can see with this approach to LCing compared to other LC approaches is that they believe that eventually (when you are at your goal weight) you really only need to 'diet' (ugh ...there's that word) for maybe 2 -3 days a month. I'm not sure if I'm understanding everything their booklet says re: LCing, your "prevailing metabolism while dieting / eating, stimulating / suppressing starvation hormones, etc, etc ...I'd like to have input from all of you as to what this approach is really all about, what it's success rate is like for you (or those you know), if you've found all that this approach claims is pretty well on track, etc. I know the ads are spectacular promoting this WOE / WOL, but what does the 'average' person experience? Any info is appreciated ...I'd like to get as educated as much as possible before trying something like this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 08:38

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Well...

I just signed up w/Curves, started this morning, so I don't have any experience with it yet. I bought his book, based on your post. I like the idea of a package deal, exercise and eating plan. I've read most of it and am intrigued by his plan to raise your set-point, of amount of food you can eat without gaining. I'd never heard it explained the way he did. Don't know if he's full of baloney or not. BUT...because of the 'package deal' I have decided to give it a try. I'm following (starting today) his 20 carb intro plan. (As of right now, I will say for 2 weeks, I may change that to 1 wk, after I do some more reading and research.)

I didn't feel like the workout was very difficult at all, but my heart rate was at 70%. I think after I get the machine technique down pat, I can put some more effort into it. How are you doing?

If you would like to try it with me, we can start a group journal or move this to our personal journals. Anyone else want to join in? Surely there are more 'Curve ladies' out there!

His eating plan is very similar to others, the difference being what you do when you normally would go on 'maintenance' for the the other LC plans. He explains his theory well, and as I said, I'm intrigued enough to give it a fair shot. I haven't lost in quite a while (actually, after a weekend away, I gained 4 lbs-s/b mostly water) so I'm looking to tweak again.

You game? Let me know.

Amy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 12:12

BF:
Default Oh ...so there is someone out there knowing what I'm talking about ...

...I was beginning to think that maybe the Heavin Formula came from a LC 'Mars' or something.

So, Amy, you're game to go for a 2 week try with is, eh? (you can tell I'm from Canada ...right?) I'm in the process of 'purging' my cupboards again ...Halloween has taken it's tole here.

I don't mind trying to do a 2 week stint, but I need to "start on Monday" (as Heavin says). So, starting Nov 11th, I'll begin putting his plan into practice. I had been on Atkins for over a year, got discouraged, slipped off the boat, & began drowning. Through a friend, I decided to try Curves (if for no other reason but to appease my husband since he's sold on the importance of weightlifting ...I agree about the advantages of muscle strengthening, but was lacking motivation) then heard about their LC plan. I'm 1/2 way through the book.

If you don't mind me starting a little later, I'll join you. I wonder how many others would be willing to put this WOE to the test?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 18:52

BF:
Default Sounds great...

Monday's fine, I just wanted to start the same day I started the workout program. Besides, I've been straying...time to get back on track.

Canada, huh? I figured it was that or 'da UP, eh?'

Do you have a journal? I think we should move this elsewhere, since it's kind of straying from just 'general exercise'.

How often do you exercise? I'm trying 3X a week, but I think on the other days I will do something here.

Talk to you later...

Amy

Anyone else want to join in????
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 20:53

BF:

Hi Amy:

Quote:
I think we should move this elsewhere, since it's kind of straying from just 'general exercise'.

I've posted my inital quest under the General Low Carb forum as well, hoping that by posting my question 2ce, I'd get lots of information. Obviously the Heavin Formula is not well known / talked about. At present, I see 53 folks have viewed my thread there, but no one has responded yet. I hope in time some folks are able to pitch in some info.

Re: Jounal. I've never opened one up ...I'm still uneasy about 'strangers' looking into my life thru the internet (those horror stories you hear about 'cyber-stalking' kinda keeps me from telling much about myself). I'm kind of interested in doing something like this, yet, I feel a bit uncertain ...what do you suggest?

I try to do Curves on Mon-Wed-Fri. On Tues & Thurs a.m. I go for an hour-long walk with friends. To me, Curves hardly seems like a workout, but, I'm trying it out for a month first. If I like it, I'll sign up for a year. I didn't officially sign up for the weight-loss program ...I borrowed a friend's book to find out what the Heavin Formula is all about. That's why I started this thread.

I do hope to get more info about the Curves WOE. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 10:53

BF:

You can e-mail me privately, at kimico~aol.com for security. I think I will post in my journal just in case it may help someone else. I never divulge anything too personal!

I lost 3 lbs overnight, thank goodness that water weight is gone. I hate feeling bloated. Now we'll get down to the nitty gritty, to see if I can lose 'real' lbs with his plan. I'm very intrigued by it. It is unique, at least from what I have read of others. If it works, it will bust the 'plateau' problems.

I wish someone else here was following it, but I guess I don't mind being the guinea pig!

Be sure to put Curves in the subject line for my e-mail, I don't open anything I don't recognize.

Later, Amy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 10:25

BF:

Hi Amy:

someone in the General Low Carb forum is inquiring about the difference between the Heavin Formula & many of the mainline theories (ie: Atkins, P-Power, etc). I plan to answer her soon ...I still haven't finished my book yet. If you felt inspired & had the time to share what you've read, go for it. Here is the shortcut (hope it works): http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=69068

If you don't have the time, that's OK ...I'll get there eventually. Maybe someone else would be able to pitch in & inform Baconbabe of the differences. It would be nice to have a real experienced person whose been on the plan for a while share with us.

By the way, how's your experiment going for you? Three more days & I'll be joining you. I'll be contacting you personally via your email address when the time comes. Thanx for being willing to learn with me.