Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 17:07

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%
Default Friends dinner parties?

I am not a confident type of person and find it hard to say what I want or need to people unless they are very close and even then it is difficult. So, I am wondering what do other people do (shy ppl please ) when they go to friends houses for dinner? I find it hard to say that I don't eat many carbs and that I CANNOT have sugar.

I feel freaky and to be honest I prefer not to eat at ppl's houses at all as when I do tell ppl they cook something just for me and I feel bad, or they keep asking if everything is ok.

What do other people do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 19:58
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default here's a suggestion from a non-shy person!

I would suggest calling your hostess and offering to bring a dish that you could eat from primarily. This is what I do, because I have a picnic food phobia (stop laughing! I really do! ) - I always bring a salad to a cookout so I know I'll have something to eat. Also, eat a good low carb meal ahead of time to ward off temptation. You might be surprised that your host serves something that works in fine wiht this WOE... but plan your day to have higher numbers, drink plenty of water and then get right back on track.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-02, 20:01

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I take the easy way out and avoid eating around other people and eat bymyself

But in your case, if you find it hard to tell them that you don't eat sugar and carbs because you don't want to hurt their feelings. Try telling them ahead of time. Like if someone calls you up and invites you over, let them know (hey its easier to do stuff on the phone lol ) ahead of time that the "dr" has you on a special diet and you can't eat any sugar...LoL so you'd feel bad if you can't eat anything and you don't want them going through any extra trouble to make you something you can eat. And ya could offer to bring something that you eat and they'd like. (although if they're good friends, they might ask you what you can eat and have some for ya) take the easy way out and blame your doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 14:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Scarlet!

I actually have a legitimate reason for not eating sugar or a lot of carbs..I'm a diabetic. I can understand your discomfort, though, with people trying to got out of their way just for you. I didn't like it at first either. Now, I just take it as it's meant; a thoughtful gesture on the part of the host to make sure that there is something suitable for you to eat at the party as well as the other guests (which is what a good host or hostess should do).
There is a group of ladies at my church that hosts a tea for the mothers of young children once a month. After the first few, the hostess noticed that I usually didn't eat very much and inquired why. I was a bit embarassed and assured her that it wasn't that the food didn't look delicious (because it surely did!), but that I am a diabetic and can't eat foods so high in sugar or starch. Well....after that, they always had a special plate just for me, usually of the salad variety and you know what? Nobody else even noticed that I wasn't eating the same things that everyone else was.
The other suggestions were good too...offer to bring a dish that you know you can eat or a low carb dessert or just plan to have a higher carb day and get right back on track with the next meal.
You can't isolate yourself socially just because you don't eat a lot of sugar or carbs and most people don't even notice what you are or aren't eating unless you bring attention to it yourself.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 20:09

You are RIGHT gang, but I just hate the way I have to explain why, all about PCOS etc. I just wanna be able to relax when I go out y'know. It's just that lately I am meeting a lot of new ppl and it's a bit awkward having to explain my health problems. I would like to pretend to be normal for a while.

I guess I just get sick of saying the same thing over and over.

I also hate when I have to defend my choices, and ppl say "oh, all that meat, it's bad for you". I just get tired of explaining, that no I amn' t on Atkins, but actually he is healthy, and no I eat other things besides meat etc. etc. etc.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 21:05

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

So don't waste your time defending your food choices and stop explaining..... Just basically say the dr has you on a no sugar diet, or you can't eat sugar. If they ask why, alls you'd have to say is what you have..shouldn't have to go into detail about it. And If they wanna preach about Atkins or whatever being unhealthy, just be like you don't care and blow it off and they'll probably get the hint and change the subject. I wouldn't even mention Atkins being healthy because then it just turns into a debate.

Or you could just eat a little meat and then eat again when you go home just so you don't have to listen to "all that meat is bad for you" junk.

If these are people you just met, they shouldn't be asking you about your health problems anyways.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 21:12

Thanks Slim !
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 06:59

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I love to have people over, and I would be very upset if someone I'd invited arrived and found there was nothing they could eat!

One friend is a woman who is on a very strict low-fat diet, and I always made sure that there was plenty for her to choose from. I even cook a portion of the main meal just for her with no fat, etc. (Even tho I don't believe low-fat diets work! LOL)

Another friend can't have anything with soy, so I'm always careful to check labels when he's coming to dinner!

From the host's point of view, I'd want to know if there are restrictions.....if I didn't want to accomodate them, I wouldn't invite you! I can't think of anything more upsetting than inviting someone to dinner and then have them leave hungry because of the menu!

As for explainations, you don't need to say anything more than what your restrictions are. Saying the doc put you on this diet is easier....but you certainly don't need to give your diagnosis, let alone a history of your problems! People that ask questions are rude and nosey, and you don't have to answer them!

"I'm allergic" is also very helpful! People can be allergic to just about anything....and if you say you're severely allergic to something, that usually does the trick! (I use this in restaurants to prevent mayo on my burgers! Ick!)

If the host is a buisness aquaintance, or someone you don't know well, just bring something with you....seldom do hosts object when someone brings another dish! And that means there will be at least 1 thing you can eat!