Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 13:59

Plan: Somersizing and Atkins
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default sugar cravings in afternoon

I'm in my second week of induction. I don't have much weight to lose, just these last stubborn 10 pounds, which is one of the reasons I tried Atkins. Plus, I'm tired of the nonstop carb eating, which causes all kinds of mood swings.

That being said, every afternoon (between after lunch and 5 PM EST, USA) I start craving sugar. I am drinking water and am not hungry, so I know it's not thirst or hunger. Maybe I'm just addicted to sugar and I'm weakest at this time so this is the time it's showing up?

Has this happened to anyone else? I scrolled through the newbies' questions but didn't see this particular question posted.

Thank you!
Patti
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 14:23

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Patti

First off-congrats on your progress!!!

Secondly,
I seem to crave sugar around my time of the month. I, also used to want sweets after lunch. Did you used to always treat yourself at this time? If you did, your body may be used to being fed at that time. It takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit-so Im not sure how long you have been LCing.

Also, are you eating enough? You may want to add a snack in there somewhere-nuts, yogurt (I think that is allowed on Somersizing) or something "sweet" like raspberries or strawberries with some heavy whipping cream on top. This could help your cravings. You can eat every 2-3 hours so your body wont feel hungry!

I tend to stay away from a lot of the Splenda stuff because too much gives me headaches.

Good luck and hope this helps a bit!!!
Vicki
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:12

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Exclamation Afternoon cravings

Dear papalmer, yes, definatly keep a snack nearby for the PM. I find a hunk of cheese does wonders. Also, I sometimes drink metamusil in the afternoon, very filling too. (Have to drink it 2 hours before or after supplements so that's the only time I can fit it in, and found it very filling. Good luck, Nancy

#4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 18:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello papalmer. I must admit that I have never heard of drinking Metamucil as a snack before. I hope it is 'having the desired effect'.

The sugar craving is often a result of the blood sugar getting lower, so you get hungry. Many of us carb cravers have lost the ability to reocgnize hunger. So why not have a snack of protein ready for those moments? A slice of roast beef or chicken or turkey from the deli works wonders and if you wrap it in a lettuce leaf, it's even more filling. Protein send the sweet cravings away. Remember that your body is pretty simple-minded: if the blood sugar falls, then the body sends you thoughts of sugar foods as the quickest solution. But you can diminish the cravings and continue the rebalancing of your insulin levels by giving it protein instead. The cravings will leave, and you will still be on your diet.

Especially on Induction, eat small meals often during the day - even 6 of them. And recognize that craving for a sweet food is usually just a sign that the body needs fuel during the adjustment process.

All the best.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-02, 19:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: sugar cravings in afternoon

Quote:
Originally posted by papalmer
That being said, every afternoon (between after lunch and 5 PM EST, USA) I start craving sugar. I am drinking water and am not hungry, so I know it's not thirst or hunger. Maybe I'm just addicted to sugar and I'm weakest at this time so this is the time it's showing up?

Has this happened to anyone else? I scrolled through the newbies' questions but didn't see this particular question posted.

Hi Patti

I was reading some information on this very topic earlier in the week during my train ride home. Some interesting facts: one of the reasons we crave carby and / or fatty foods later in the day correlates with a drop in serotonin levels in the brain that happens around 4 p.m. This is particularly pronounced in women as we have approximately 40% less serotonin than men to begin with. Fighting these cravings when they first arise often leads to increased hunger and moodiness and binge eating later in the evening.

The article I was reading suggesting having something right then and there to help replentish serotonin levels. A protein rich snack, as BarB suggested, will go a long way to help deal with these cravings. The body can convert protein to glucose w/o causing a rise in insulin levels - thereby taking care of the craving, filling you up, supplying your body with the amino acids it needs and ensuring you do not feel deprived.

Also, if you're hungry and not just craving something 'sweet' its a sign that you're not getting enough food at the meals preceeding. Try increasing the number of meals you eat. More frequent, smaller meals throughout the day will boost metabolism and help keep blood sugar (and brain chemicals) leveled. The notion of "Three Square Meals A Day" is a socially contrived one - we do much better with 5 or 6 smaller meals. Statistically women are less likely to gain fat eating this way and more likely to lose it.

Cheers,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-02, 07:08

Plan: Somersizing and Atkins
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I hadn't considered that it's that time of month, nor had I considered my serotonin levels may have dropped. I don't think it's hunger because i'm eating a lot of food, almost too much I think, even though it's the good stuff. I must've had over 120 grams of protein yesterday. I think I'm nervous eating, so i'll have to watch out for that.

It's good to know that this symptom isn't all in my head.

Thank you, everyone!!
Patti
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:55

Plan: adkins
Stats: 240/225/150
BF:52%
Progress: 17%
Talking

VictoriaT

Just wanted to let you know I LOVED your little dancing bride!!! Too cute!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think you're doing great - you will enjoy dress shopping so much more now! I'm a tad bit of a weeding nut - should have been a 'weddingplanner'.....but I sell insurance instead - LOL - but I do cakes, flowers and alterations on the side - so that keeps me happy!

Enjoy!

Amy

ps - in regards to the afternoon sweet cravings - I found that if I chew a piece of sugar free gum (1 carb) it helps - especially when I thiink I just can't take one more hard boiled egg or piece of cheese!