Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/221/200 Male 6'0"
BF:27%/25%/12%
Progress: 54%
Post Not all carbohydrates created equal

http://www.msnbc.com/news/810153.asp?0bl=-0

What do you folks think about this pearl of wisdom from the good old US Government?

-Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 180/154/140
BF:
Progress: 65%
Post My Two cents...

This article didn't seem to be targeting the idea of carbs re weight loss or weight management, but rather risk of certain cancers and heart health. Personally, I think eating information is all WAY too confusing for those of us with other obsessions to feed. And, that could possibly be on purpose. Who knows what is the best way of eating until you die, right? Do you go with The Zone? which seems to favor more carbs from veggies (my nearly complete uneducated opinion) or with USDA pyramid [scheme] way of eating?

One study cited in the article,
Quote:
...Iowa Women’s Health Study, those who ate the most whole grains suffered about 20 percent fewer heart disease deaths and 10 percent fewer cancer-related deaths than those who ate the least, even after controlling for the effects of weight, smoking and other dietary habits.
was, presumbly, focused on women rather than on a more generalized population - does that make it a little less valid for other people like, oh say, MEN?

And another thing:

I know this sounds radical, but what about portion M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N? I don't personally know how to eat foods in moderation right now, but that's my ultimate goal. The Iowa Women's Health Study cited that people who consumed whole grains "just over the minimum recommended, which is three servings a day," had better health benefits. (A serving being a regular sized bowl of cereal or 1 sandwich being 3 servings.) I'm here to tell you that I probably used to down enough pasta to feed two Italian villages per day. Most people would probably see health & weight benefits if they stuck to smaller portion sizes of anything !

And lastly:

I thought this quote was extremely funny:

Quote:
A diet centered on white bread, fat-free cookies , pretzels and bagels is not a basis for good health. We need to focus on a variety of whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans for the many different health benefits they bring, as well as their great taste.