Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/258/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy Worried about too little carbs...

Here's what I am wondering...

I like to work out everyday for aprox. an hour or so. (walking, biking) is the amount of carbs on induction of atkins (20g) enough to sustain me? Especially when I'm going to work out right after I've woken up?

Id really appreciate some imput, dont want to make myself ill.
Ive been putting off working out heavily untill I find out some answers. My boyfriend is on induction too and had to increase his carbs, he works stocking shelves and was completely tired after the first hour or so, which is VERY unusual for him. He increased his carbs in his meal before work (Ya, i'm jealous) and now he's feeling better at work. Just worried the same may happen to me. :) Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

If it's just walking or easy biking don't worry about the carbs. It will be harder than normal... but after a few weeks or months it will become easier and then you'll actually have mor energy while lowcarbing for that kins of exercise. High intensity exercise is different. Don't worry about increasing your carbs for walking. Get your water though in the morning before you work out.

Heavy workouts ie: weights or sprinting are a different story. Check out the other posts to get some more info. THere is a lot in here.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:06

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Cool Maybe, maybe not...

First, strenuous exercise should be avoided for the first 2-3 weeks of a low carb diet because your body has to adjust to burning a new type of fuel (fat). That is why your BF is so tired so quickly. I would say to monitor how you FEEL and decide if you need more carbs then. If you feel worn out and weak then I'd say increase them, if not don't worry. I had to increase my carbs when I started weight training because I simply couldn't do it. I felt worn down all the time. Now that I give my body the fuel it needs I feel great. The diets are all just guidelines. You have to listen to your body and decide for yourself what you need.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/150
BF:
Progress:
Default if

you add more carbs make sure they are low glycemic ones (the good ones) that release slowly into your system to keep from effecting your insulin levels. and those who work outlike to take them right before and after workouts usually.