Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 21:30

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question Couple of Questions..advice plz

Ok, I made an appointment with my old endo whom I haven't seen since Janurary. [rant]He's supposed to be the *best* endo in my state, but I can't stand this guys personality. I hate him with a passion! lol He's one of them people, that don't come out and say things!!!! Ask him a simple freakin question, and he has a 3minute story for an answer. And he talks soooo slow!!!! But I really don't have a choice and it was better and faster than trying to find a new doctor..Eck. And since I have a real short attention span, I have to bring my mom with me to listen to him and then translate it for me later. Thats how bad he is. [/rant] (lol)

Ok sorry, questions..

1. I have been drinking coke instead of water and I've gained a few lbs of bloat, and on top of that..I should be gaining another monthly 8... I'm wondering if I should let myself stay *fatter* to make it look like I gained alot of weight so he can't be like my other doctor who dosen't take me seriously when I say I can't lose weight..(you're not even overweight,blablabla)

lol orrr 2. Should I get back on strictly Atkins, lose what I gained... and maybe try Thyrolean and see if that helps me before I ask this guy to go switch my synthroid and stuff. I'm scared of switching/adding medication because whatever this guy had me on the first time, (levox..i think) I gained 12lbs...

And my other question is about Protein Shakes I asked this in another thread, but it was a dead one and noone responded..

I've been drinking Whey Protein shakes that I get from GNC. It has 220 calories, 4.5g of fat, 40g of protein, and 5g of sodium

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these ingredients? Are they OK for hypos:

- 40g of "high quality whey protein"
- 5g of free-form glutamine and
- 3g BCAA

Thanks, if anyone actually answers any of these...I know they're kinda stupid... I'm just scared to go through crap with this doctor like with my other one..eck.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:10

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

your story sounded like mine. I had an idiot endo that was supposed to be the best in BC and apparently she couldn't get my name right or send me for the right tests. I think she was getting senile. Anyways, I wouldn't start any supplements before seeing him as they might alter your lab results if he sends you for tests. I wouldn't purposely try to keep the added weight either though. A good doctor will take your word for it. My doc couldn't believe me when i first started gaining weight. He told me it was muscle but my pants were getting tighter so i switched doctors and found an amazing one.
As for the protein shake, i think it's okay. I used to drink Myoplex and Metr-x shakes but those were meal replacements and i soon found out that soy was a no no for hypothyroid people.
I've been reading about Thyrolean as well and was considering looking into it. I"m on a natural supplement from my naturopath after being on hormones for a year and feeling crappy. Anyways, hope your doc's appt. goes well and ask ask ask questions because i'm sure you had to wait a long time to get in. I"m waiting to see my new endo in Nov and i had the appt made in June so i will not be leaving his office until i am HAPPY

Danyele
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 18:01

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Thanks Danyele. You're right, I shouldn't have to keep added weight on to try and prove my problem.. But I can't really go in saying "i've gained weight" since I weigh about the same now as I did in Janurary, cept for a few lbs or so..

If I go in saying I can't lose weight, he's gonna be another jackass saying crap like "you need to exercise and diet and blablablabla" If I say its the medication, he's gonna blow me right off...

I have more complaints then questions...lol and I'm scared to go in and ask something and sound stupid (since I'm kinda an idiot when it comes to medical stuff)....Because if I sound like an idiot, he's gonna blow me right off and say I dont' know what I'm talking about and try and sell me some BS story like "synthroid dosen't effect your weight, it just replaces your thyroid' blablabla like I've heard already.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default Misleading!

Hey!

I've personally found that endocrinologists are usually extremely unhelpful to hypothyroid sufferers. This is because they are so used to seeing extreme problems relating to hormones, i.e., cancer of the thyroid, that when someone comes in with just a slightly off-kilter thyroid gland, it is NOTHING compared to what they are used to seeing! I have found that you get much more help when you go to someone who is recommended by other hypo-thyroid sufferers.

I found Mary Shomon's "Top Doc Directory" to be quite helpful. I found my doctor from her site, which posts recommended doctors from local readers. My personal concern was testing "within normal" on my TSH test, but still displaying all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism [specifically, having a significant family history of the disease]. This site enabled me to choose a doctor who responded to my specific issue in a way I preferred.

Since then, I have formed a solid relationship with my doctor, who is helping me fight this awful problem! Since this is a problem that doesn't go away, you need to constantly be aware of your body and any changes you experience. My doctor is helping me with the regulation aspect of it, after initial and immediate improvements. I am so thankful for him - I keep telling him that I am writing him into my will or naming a firstborn after him!!

If I were you, I would not continue seeing a doctor that I did not like. Not for something so personal and permanent as an off-kilter thyroid gland! I would definitely consider checking out Mary Shomon's site at www.thyroid.about.com and look for a doctor in your area that was referred on by a real live thyroid sufferer.

If you want to e-mail any questions to me, please do so. I'll do whatever I can to help anyone find the right next step for them, because I know how isolating and frustrating it can feel to be all alone on your way there!

Margaret :-)