Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I miss Starbucks!

I miss my daily latte from Starbucks....but I will admit, I am loving the success I have had!

My question is, can I have a tall (12 oz) latte from Starbucks if it is made with half and half?? I am not certain how many carbs 12 oz of half and half have??? Does anyone know?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The Carbohydrate Counter (see the headings just to the right of your post) gives these values for 8 ounces of half-and-half cream

Total Carbohydrates 10.41 g
Dietary Fiber 0.00 g
Total Protein 7.16 g
Total Calories 315.48
Total Fat 27.83 g

So in 12 ounces of half-and-half, there are 15.6 grams of carbs & about 468 calories.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

Isn't a latte frothed milk and coffee? I've never tried to froth half-and half, but my guess is the consistency would be more like whipped cream than what you'd expect in a latte

-Jinkster
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 09:01

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Actually, the higher the fat content, the LESS it froths. The frothiest is skim milk.

Because frothing is done with pressurized steam, the protein in the milk COOKS. Protein which cooks becomes more solid and so the bubbles stay = froth. Think of a raw egg when you first break it and then after frying. Any meat cooking is limp and floppy when raw, and more solid when cooked. Same with milk.

Since there is a less protein in any cream, there is mostly fat and it doesn't get firmer when cooked.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 09:06
Registered Member

Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%

How cool! I love this board, thanks for the cool info

-Jinkster
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 08:37

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Breve fan

A latte made with halfnhalf is called a breve, but you may have to explain that to some baristas. Since it is frothed and there is expresso in it, it is not 12 oz of halfnhalf. each shot is an ounce so a double takes you down 2 more oz. and then the froth probably takes it down a little too. If you add a sf flavor (ick...waste of good coffee) there's another ounce down. Then there is the option of moving to a smaller cup...8 oz breves are a lovely amount...my favorite in fact. You may have to search to find a cup that size, but it means less halfnhalf and less carbs and more wonderful coffee flavor! Think about it. making me thirsty for a breve....dbl. 8 for me!

Espresso fan and retired barista!

Jo
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Cool Thank you!

I am so happy I posted this message and discovered the breve latte at Starbucks. I have one every week! It is such a treat, and not "off the plan". It is decadent! For all those latte lovers, I highly recommend.

It was funny, I ordered one the other day, and when it was done, the barista said "one tall atkins latte (instead of breve) at the bar!" haha....so there must be alot of us out there ordering breve's!

Thanks again!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 14:52

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am so glad I found this thread....Starbucks is a subject near and dear to my heart......and tastebuds

I am a former iced latte drinker.

I have been trying to modify to LC by ordering an iced americano, then adding half and half....it still comes out a little too bitter for me, so now you've really got me thinking here with the "breve" concept. I've been wondering why the americano tastes so bitter to me. In the winter, I drink hot cappuccinos, so I was thinking that this time around, I'll just order espresso and add cream

are there breve iced lattes? What would estimate the carbs in a 12 oz ( is that the Grande amount?)

All suggestions are appreciated!

Terri
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 15:22

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/190/145
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Iced Breve

Iced is good!

12 oz is tall MOST places...ask your barista.

Also ask your barista how much half and half he is using...1/2 c?...cup?...(BEFORE he/she steams it for a hot breve). Should be able to at least guesstimate it. Then figure out the carbs. Expresso has 1 carb per shot/ounce so don't forget that, and the syrups probably have some or one and are also a shot/ounce unless you ask for extra.

I like mine very ICY, so I ask the barista to use less halfnhalf then put my two or three shots of espresso and a sweet'ner packet then fill 'er up with LOTS of ice! Most baristas (if they have a clue) will be happy to prepare your drink exactly like you tell them. If not, find a new coffee bar.

Oh, and in the vernacular it is "iced breve" or hot, simply "breve", preceeded by double, triple, quad. A breve iced latte is a cream iced milk. Not good Italian!!

Jo...who is all about good customer service and good grammer, even in Italian!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 00:37

Plan: Atkins (Induction Phase)
Stats: 235/220/140 Female 5'3"
BF:49/?/?
Progress: 16%

I love Icey drinks too. I usually ask for the iced americano to be made like this.
Iced grande amercano, no water- just ice.
topped off with either half-half at the condiment bar or liquid whip from the bar ( let the barista know when you order it, there is an additional charge)

the liquid whip can cut the carbs a bit more

Or if you want a hot drink- ask for an heavy whip/extra,extra dry/ cappucino.
anyways that is my 2cents

Last edited by Ellieboo : Sat, Sep-25-04 at 00:46.