Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 14:45

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%
Default salad veg versus other veg

I have to say, I have been in the induction phase for almost 5 weeks now and have been very happy with the results!! I feel more energy, have slimmed down and find it easy to stick with it.

I am wondering about something in the new book though, hope someone can clarify it for me.

It says you can have 1 cup of veggies from the 'other' list if salad veg does not exceed 2 cups... however, when I make salads from the salad list the carb count is pretty low. Isnt it okay to mainly eat from the salad veg list and add a cup or two from the 'other' veg list to (and in combination with cheese, cream, etc...) equal 20 grams of carbs?

Sometimes I have say 1 cup of beans and 1 cup of cauliflower for dinner... I'm not wanting to be uptight about it, just wondering if thats actually okay?

Also, like other diets etc, does it get harder to lose the 'last' few pounds as well when on induction?

I've got 7 more to go!!!!!!
d
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 06:43
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi deze,

The cup measures for salads and vegetables is just a guide. And an inaccurate one IMHO. There could be more or less in that cup, depending on how it's packed in there, or if the vegetable is in big chunks or small dice.

You're permitted 20g of carbs per day .. which certainly allows for larger portions of high-fiber vegetables. Use a good carb counter book, or our carb counter tool (from the orange menu bar at the top) to help you plan your meals. Fitday.com is another tool you can use to keep track of your menu.

Rosebud recently posted this to another member:
Quote:
This is an example of what you can have:
2 cups lettuce - remember iceberg lettuce has fewer nutrients than lettuces such as romaine - the ones with darker leaves are generally better.
½ cup peppers
½ cup cucumber
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup broccoli
1 cup asparagus
1 cup cauliflower
2 fluid ounces heavy cream

According to Fitday, this gives you a total of 31 carbs, 12 fibre carbs - making a total of only 19 useable carbs.
Obviously, if your meals have carbs from other sources .. eggs, cheese, processed meats, condiments, decaf coffee ... then you'd have to take that into consideration before adding more vegetables.

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 12:36

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%
Default vegs/other veg- thanks

Hi Doreen!
thanks for the clafification! I love veggies and am glad to be able to eat a few more then!

I sure appreciate this forum, its great!
have a great day!
d