Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: combination
Stats: 315/263/200
BF:>50?/39/25
Progress: 45%
Default Amino acid supplements: what is the deal?

I would like opinions regarding supplementation with an amino acid tablet .

In my case, I am pre-diabetic and have determined (through a long process of trial and error) that I am one of the lucky individuals who see a rise in glucose from higher protein consumption. At the same time I want to continue to build muscle, as well as burn fat without too much muscle loss while low carbing. I have determined the best ratio for keeping my blood sugars well within the normal range, which is my highest priority. My intake consists of a protien/carb/fat ratio of 20%/15%/65% and is based 2000 calories meaning that on average I eat around 400 calories of protein or 100 grams.

I have been low carbing since 04/2000 and I have been resistance training since 11/2000.

So, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 06:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How many meals do you eat per day? 100g of protein seems low to me. Is this over the course of 3 meals? Do you know the upper limit of protein g per meal you can tolerate? You might benefit from more protein via more frequent smaller meals - I know your body would be better able to use the protein (and the other macronutrients) this way.

I'd also wait to see what Dan has to say - he's the expert when it comes to this stuff

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 06:37
Registered Member

I eat 5 smaller meals per day. I exercise first thing in the morning and wait 30-60 min post workout to have my first meal.

I take supplements at three of those meals (vit. E, C, multi, ALA, chromium, fiber, EFA).

I started with the previously mention ratio about three weeks ago and for the first time in a long time I am sensing some changes in fat composition. My basal temp has risen and I am starting to feel progressive again. My clothes also fit a litter better. I said this to state that I am not ready to tinker with the protein percentages just yet (my blood sugar readings have been consistantly normal; even the post exercise rise stays within the normal range now).

Also, my protein sources do not include soy products. I also have determined that I may be one who experiences a supression in thyroid function due to soy (everyone should monitor their basal body temperature).
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 09:10

BF:

Well, slim, you obviously have to work with the parameters that your body will allow. It still strikes me from just the numbers perspective that protein and calories in general are too low - but I understand that sometimes the 'right' way doesn't work for everyone.

I'm sure Dan will have some insights for you, though. He knows how to deal with metabolism manipulation like no-one does. He's also diabetic.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 05:34
Registered Member

I understand that correlation does not mean causation....

I got the above amino acid tablets yesterday and I decided to take one about an hour before bedtime. My FBS was 104 today, versus an average of about 85 over the past three weeks. Of course I also upped my glutamine starting the day before yesterday, but I did not see the spike after the first day of glutamine (I previously took 3g/day and had increased it to 15g, and btw, I did get the constipation side effect to - and I didn't like that - much prefer regulararity).

I will leave off the amino and am dropping the glutamine back to 6g/day and hopefully my BG's will drop back. I will then try the amino acid tablet again.

If anyone had any insight here, jump on in

edited to add:

This mornings jump could be related to the dawn phenomenon, but I had not been experiencing this either for the past 3 weeks since I had modified my diet. Thanks.

Last edited by slim gym : Wed, Aug-07-02 at 06:02.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:05
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

There are all sorts of daily protein requirements thrown around by strength athletes. The bottom line is that the body can only assimilate 30 grams at a time (that's why so many protein shakes contain close to 30 g). So if you have 30g 5 times a day, that's 150 g per day. That's probably about 1 g for every lb of muscle for you (judging only by your weight only.....you could be a pro bodybuilder with 8% BF level ). I think that is a reasonable level of protein to be at. So if you want to minimize any added calorie intake, amino acid supplements would probably work for you (kind of expensive though)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default News to me

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark01
The bottom line is that the body can only assimilate 30 grams at a time

Where did you get this information?

Akiwican
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

In every muscle building book and magazine I've read in the last 15 years. Seriously, it's about the only thing all these authors agree on
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 18:30

BF:
Default A little tidbit I found

NUTRITION CORNER: How many grams of protein per meal?

Quote:
There is a prevailing belief that the body can only process 30 grams of protein at a sitting. I can't even begin to count the number of times that I've heard this "30 gram rule" cited by so-called fitness experts. The fact is, however, there's simply no science to back up the claim. To understand why, a little physiology is in order.

The digestion of protein takes place in the small intestine and is facilitated by various "enzymes" and "transporters". Protein is broken down into its constituent components, the amino acids, which are then taken up by the intestinal cells (called enterocytes). Enzymes speed up the breakdown and assimilation of protein, and transporters assist the amino acids in their passage through the intestinal cells and into the bloodstream. Both enzymes and transporters are very sensitive to the presence of amino acids. When protein intake is increased, the body increases the amount of protein enzymes and transporters in the intestines to accommodate increased protein consumption. Hence, increased protein consumption is met by increased protein absorption.

In final analysis, there is no magic amount as to how much protein can be consumed per meal. No evidence exists that 30 grams of protein, or any other amount for that matter, is an upper limit for protein intake. That said, a good case can be made for consuming smaller, more frequent protein meals throughout the day. Doing so ensures a steady stream of protein into the body, providing the nutrients needed for muscular development.

Nat