Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (new)
Stats: 223/205/140 Female 5 feet six inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy Still No Loss

Good Morning All: Starting yesterday, my ketostix are now tan, not purple at all. I ran last night for the first time since starting Atkins and it felt great. I ate: Scrambled eggs for breakfast, two cups decaf with heavy cream, for lunch, tuna salad w/mayo, 1 stick celery, one ounce cheddar and some turkey and roastbeef from the deli. For dinner, I had turkey legs and a salad, oil and vinegar dressing, and for a snack, some fried salami with mustard. I don't think I am eating too much, but i have not lost one pound. The run felt great, especially at the end. Is it possible that I am burning muscle for energy instead of fat now? That has me a little worried. I had such purple ketostix for a week and a half, now no purple. Yesterday, a little pink but since I ran last night, only tan. I have been off the hormones for a week and a day, and off caffeine for five days. I have been on induction for two weeks today and was expecting some loss. I don't want to give up, but I am worried about what my body is using for fuel, if it is not burning fat. Thanks for the help. Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 17:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Ketostix can be very unreliable. Especially if you drink a lot of water or are on TOM. You should be showing some loss at 2 weeks though. Even if only 2-4 pounds.

If your weight loss hasn't improved, maybe you need another lc program. Check out some of the other threads on the boards and read some of the books to see if you match any of the profiles.

Sometimes it takes a little searching to find the lc program that's right for your body's chemistry.

Good Luck.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 00:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

No, you cannot be burning muscle with all the protein you are taking in.
You have been on Induction and lost TWELVE POUNDS! Congratulations. I have to agree with Zuleikaa above: don't live your life by what those Stix say. Ignore the colour and go by how you feel. And how your clothes fit.

If you are not hungry, you ARE in ketosis. And after Induction's rapid loss, it is normal to go for a week without losing as your body adjusts and catches its breath after all the sudden changes.

It is also true that you will NEVER AGAIN lose as much weight in 2 weeks as you did on Induction because you have shed the excess water your cells were holding along with some fat.

You are also getting well along toward your goal, so the loss rate will slow and you may have to live patiently through some weeks later when you don't lose anything although you ARE eating LC. Keep on with it, because the loss will eventually start again.

I don't think you are a Turtle at all. Most people lose 10% of the total they hope to lose on Induction and here you have lost 30%. You are far better than average.