Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 254/231/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Constipation

Not the most pleasant topic, but I do need a little advice.
Have been having my 2 cups of salad, 1 cup of broccoli or spinach or whatever everyday, drink tons of water and am still having this problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I am still on induction.

BTW, the sun is out, actually hear a bird or two outside.
Yahoo....perhaps Spring has finally arrived in the North.

Postitive thought for the day:

Thank God the headaches are gone, one more positive step to a healthier life!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 07:47

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

mselly the only thing I can think to add here is are you eating enough fat? Water, fiber and fat will help keep you regular. You should have a look through the article under "Low Carb Tips" by Doreen called Intestinal Health - there are some hints on what you can do. I have heard the the yoga exercise seems to work wonders.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 08:31

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:

One way to add more fat to your diet, as mentioned by Natrushka, is to toss your salad in olive oil, I use a bowl to toss the salad in and add a good helping of olive oil so that all of the leaves are well coated in oil.
If that fails then add some psyllium whole husks to your diet, we have an excellent brand out here in Salt Lake CIty at Wild Oats. The name is Yerba Primer and has no sugar or sweetener added. Metamucil seems to promote gas probably because of the sugar / sweetener included.
Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have read here that some people have tried the sugar-free Metamucil when in a bind (no pun intended ). I'm not sure how it is sweetened so you may want to check that out. I think with extra fat, lots of water and fiber things should work themselves out (again, no pun intended )

Take care,

KC
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 08:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Alas, even "sugar-free" Metamucil has carbs ... because maltodextrin is used as a filler to fluff it up and to take the place of the sugar which is in the "regular" stuff. According to the Metamucil website, there's 6 to 8 calories' worth of maltodextrin in each dose of the product ... which translates to 1.5 to 2g digestible carbs over and above the 3.4g fiber in the product. Maltodextrin is the filler that's used in powdered artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, Equal, SugarTwin etc. It's made from highly refined cornstarch.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 09:15

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:

Doreen, you are a treasure trove of great information.......

The Maltodextrin would explain the bloating that my "honey" suffered from when she tried the sugar free Metamucil. The Psyllium that she uses now has no such effect, it also has added potassium. This is the brand that I referred to in my previous posting.
Many thanks
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 09:36

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i find that 1tbsp of ground flaxseed on each of my 2 salads a day works great.
buy flaxseeds at a health food store and grind with a coffee grinder. (very inexpensive too)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 09:42

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Go buy Benefiber - it's new at RiteAide. It's just vegetable fiber - only 1 carb per tablespoon - without the carbs of vegetables. Guar Gum. Anyone with IBS I strongly recommend it.

http://www.benefiber.com/index.jsp
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 254/231/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks for eveyones input. I am heading straight to my health food store in the morning.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 08:46

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Benefiber is not at a healthfood store. Try the other ways first, if no help, try RiteAide or any pharmacy that might carry Benefiber.
Walmart also has it for others who might be reading this. I swear, with ibs and atkins, it did change my LIFE.

silly, but true.
N
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 15:27

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 134/116/115
BF:
Progress: 95%

I have been taking wheat bran tablets everyday and that helps me. You can get them at Wal-mart. I also use wheat bran (very inexpensive) you can get it at the grocery store or health food store. I put it in my salad, cottage cheese or mix it with whatever you want to. It has 10 carbs, 7 fibers so you only have to count 3 carbs per serving.
sallyd