Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Veggies and Carbs

To those more experienced than I, I have a question. If you were to get all your carbs from veggies, let's say broccoli how much would you have to eat to hit 20 carbs? I tend to eat just meat and veggies (with lots of butter for the green stuff and olive oil for the meat) and I am worried that I am not getting enough carbs. By my tallies I would have to eat many cups of broccoli to hit the mark. Now I know if I eat eggs or cheese that those can be included. I have found this WOE very easy. Not being able to have the high carb foods has been a breeze. Personally, I have the will power to say no to something completely but not the willpower to only have a half a cup. But I digress. I am working out six days a week and I worry about not getting enough carbs but I am afraid of the little suckers so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

H
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: Semi low carb
Stats: 70/68/58 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Good question bansshee

I like and eat my carbs from a variety of foods, but the induction limits on vegetables left me wanting.
I discovered that OWL was exactly what I wanted - larger servings of vegies.
I now have 2 different vegetables with my large meal, and measure out the amounts to give me about 10 grams of carbs, (before subtracting for fibre). I aim for 5 or 6 grams from vegies at lunch time.
I have discovered I feel much more satisfied when I eat them with lots of added fat.....butter, olive oil, or mayonnaise.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 08:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Incorporate vegetables that are low-carb but in the mid range like peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, turnip, daikon, Brussels sprouts and tomatoes.

A good excercise is to go to the carb counter on this site and do a search for vegetables from the lowest and scroll to the mid range and see that variety that is there.

Remember to keep your calories up with fat too!

Karen