Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/115/120
BF:
Progress: 125%
Default New AM Cardio Question

Hey all!

I know that there was an extensive thread about this already, and I'm sure this question was answered somewhere in there, but I don't have time to go through 63 responses. So I'll just ask it here:

I do work out in the mornings (I'm a college student), however, about 15 minutes to half an hour b/f hand I eat half a LC Protein bar. Then about 15 minutes after the workout, I eat the other half. I started doing this because I was worried about losing too much lean body mass.

My workout consists of 20 minutes on an eliptical machine (thats how long the gym lets you use the cardio equip b/c of the lines), followed by weight training (I alternate lower and upper body days. My lower body is leg press followed by abductors and adductors, ending off with calves. My upper body is a sitting row machine, shoulder press, pecs press, and then biceps/triceps).

Since it's a LC bar, is it still ok? I just feel like I have no energy when I enter into my workouts on an empty stomach.

-Sophie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 18:47

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/181.5/140
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Sophie,

I would really like to hear some answers to your question!

I've been running (currently on a walk-run program, increasing run times each week) for 10 weeks and low-carbing for 8 weeks. My total workout time is about an hour now, and about half-way through I'm getting very fatigued. Today I could not complete all of the run segments.

I've been running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. A couple of people in my running class -- including the coach -- suggested drinking Gatorade or eating a power bar during my workout, saying the fatigue is coming from my body being depleted of glycogen. So I think I will try it on my next running workout.

What brand of low-carb bars do you use? Do you have a favorite?

Thanks.

Sharon
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 21:39

BF:

I eat AdvantEdge Carb Control bars. I find that they taste the best and come in lots of flavors. My fav is cookies and cream. I also like Lemon Cheesecake. EAS also makes a similiar bar called Myoplex Low Carb, also in good flavors. each bar contains 2-3 grams of carbs technically, but from reading people's posts it seems like there are hidden carbs in many of these bars. I used an online hidden carb calculator and it said there are really 20. But on the flip side, the people who make the bars must know what they're talking about when they say that the ingredients they dont count as carbs have little effect on insulin levels, and therefor aren't counted. I haven't had any problems with them. But I guess you'll have to try it for yourself.
Also, I'm on maintenance, not weight loss. You could try the Atkins bars, they have just as much protein and are suitable for all phases of the diet, including induction. And I bet they taste yummy b/f of the fat content.
I hope that helps!

-Sophie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:29

BF:

Thanks, Sophie. I will try them. I hope it prevents me from hitting that wall in my a.m. workout!

Sharon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%

About the LC bars. I have tried them, also, although not in conjunction w/exercise. I absolutely cannot use them - the manu. may say that 20 of those carbs don't effect your insulin, but they knocked me out of ketosis immediately. They also made me very hungry and want to binge on carbs. Now, that's just me. If you use the ketostix (I do, very occasionally, just to check when I eat new foods, or am increasing my carbs), try using them several hours after you exercise (exercise also uses ketones, so they won't show up in your urine stream after exercise), and see how your ketosis is. Personally, I drink a VERY strong cup of coffee, complete with heavy cream and 1 pk of sweetner before I start my AM exercise - gives me the energy I need to live through it !

Good luck
Anna
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 20:43

BF:

Hey Sharon!

I was just wondering if you had used any LC bars b/f working out. And if so, how is it going?

-Sophie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 07:04

BF:

Hi Sophie,

I haven't tried them yet. I bought a couple of Atkins Advantage bars and a Metabolift bar yesterday. I'm just walking today, so I won't need one. I plan to run again in the morning, so I will try one then and let you know!

Are the Atkins Advantage the same as your AdvantEdge Carb Control bars, or is that a separate brand I should be looking for?

Sharon
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 09:24

BF:

Yes, its the same TYPE of bar in that it has low carbs and high protein. The main difference is my bar has about half the fat of the atkins. This is only b/c I'm on maintenance now, so I don't eat as much fat as I did on the real diet. But I bet the atkins tastes better than mine

-Sophie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 11:55

BF:

Sophie,

I tried the Atkins bar on my run this morning and it worked!!! I did not hit a wall like last time. I was able to complete my planned run, and my time was the best it's been yet, plus I was not fatigued at the end. I also took water with me. I took half a bar with me, and after 20 minutes, I started nibbling a bite every few minutes. My run was 54 minutes (4 minutes run, 2 minutes walk, 9 repeats), but I could have probably gone for another 10 minutes. What a difference it makes to have just a little bit of food!

Sharon
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 12:41
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Coffee

I agree, coffee helps lots!!!

I find that whatever I do when working out in the a.m. is slightly less in intensity than it would have been if I had done it in the afternoon. I go on an empty stomach both in the a.m. and in the p.m.

I use EAS's locarb bars and shakes after a workout (1 hour after) and still stay in ketosis, but I think this may because of the intensity of the Body For Life workouts. The locarb bars are a YMMV thing and how many carbs your body can handle before throwing you out of ketosis.

Try 2 cups of water followed by a cup of strong coffee and you should feel the difference.