Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, mostly KISS
Stats: 63/68/58
BF:
Progress: -100%
Question Binge on "allowed foods"

Yuck, yuck, yuck. I totally binged.... I guess it's not the end of the world, because the difference is that I binged on butter, mayonnaise, and eggs. I just couldn't stop. Is this going to cause a weight gain??? I hope not! I know that fat is allowed but I don't kno w to what extent. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 09:14

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You probably didn't binge near as bad as you think you did.

On a day to day basis most of us stick to around 70 to 80 percent of our calories coming from fat. No it will not make you gain weight provided you didn't binge on carbs as well.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 13:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

I only wish I was controlled as you are and managed to binge on legal food!

I don't think one day will make a difference - especially as you kept it to eggs butter and mayo !

#4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have low-carb binges. A prolonged binge causes me to gain weight, while a short one does nothing. The weight gain is due to overeating and what I binge on, which is usually dairy products.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 14:21

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

OH OH OH I've done this. I usually BINGE on protein/this doesn't happen often. Too much of anything is not only not very "balanced" or unhealthy - but one binge definately won't do you permanent damage, at the very worst maybe water weight gain if you binge on something very high in salt (bacon)...yep I've done that.

Now, the body is very self-regulating...you might find that because you really loaded up on fats, you may not be very hungry for the next meal, next day or few days. So continue to eat, but only according to your appetite. You'll probably balance out in the end...let us know how your appetite goes after this binge...bet it's less for a while.

I always loved the claim that you binge on what your body needs (sure was always a great excuse in my high carb days to have that extra 4 cups of popcorn or extra 2 plates of spagetti) but getting back to this wonderful little philosophy, maybe you needed fats? And now that you have them you will lose that crave feeling for a while...

okay, those are my thoughts. Don't compound the goof (if you think it is one) with negative thinking and guilt. Just look forward and eat a good meal, eat low carb.

N
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 16:15

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you're gonna binge (and you WILL from time to time) then you most certainly did it right.

Even a one day carb binge is not going to have much of a lasting effect - if you can hold it to one day which is a real challenge for many people.

You're doing fine - the important thing is to not get too critical about yourself and let that drag your emotions down.

Keep the Faith!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 16:51
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone! I feel MUCH better after reading your replies. It's true that I woke up this morning feeling completely NOT hungry and the thought of eating turns my stomach. I know I have to eat, so I'll eat something small but I don't really want to. I didn't weigh myself this morning as I usually do (too scared!!!), but I noticed a bit of a gain. i'm hoping it's just WATER!!!! i'll let you all know. The fat definitely was an appetite suppressant though...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 19:01

BF:
Progress:

Like I said, the body just "knows".

And best of all, NOW you are eating due to your REAL appetite, not your NEED FOR CARBS appetite!!!

Wonderful...you can really KNOW if you are hungry or NOT.
You are there.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/190/175
BF:
Progress: 79%

As others said, at least you binged on the right foods! Seems very low carb, so you probably did not do anything to stop your progress. I've had days where I eat a large amount of food as well, legal foods (One day I ate a 24 ounce steak, and asparagus) Even if you step off the bandwagon temporarily, the important thing is to get right back on. It might slow you down a little, but if you step off it for a while, that will slow you down more!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 23:17

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by gresham95
(One day I ate a 24 ounce steak, and asparagus)

Hi, did u mean u ate a 24oz- steak in a meal or a day? U know, cos I eat more than 24oz of meat a day.
I'm just being nosey here

Bebe
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 01:23

Stats: 245/190/175
BF:

No, that was just one meal!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 03:15

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:

Thanks.
I'm impressed
Have a great day!

Bebe
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 06:36
Registered Member

BF:
Default Appetite TOTALLY under control

I wanted to let you guys all know that you were RIGHT. The body KNOWS. Since my crazy fat binge my appetite has been under control all over again... in fact for the past three days I've almost been forcing myself to eat at least my minimum calories to keep up my BMR. This is great! I love this WOE!!! Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 08:11

BF:
Progress:

See? You truly were able to determine your TRUE sense of hunger now.

You weren't hungry - your body told you and you listened and you reacted in respect of this information.

Eating carbs was never like this!
N
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 09:52
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Red face Confession

Yestersday, I have to confessed. I ate a pint of strawberries(frozen). I just couldn't quit. I haven't gotten on the scale yet to see the damage. But, I know now that too many strawberries is a trigger food for me. I love strawberries. Oh, will I want this weight off so I will give them up and only eat a few on special occasions .
Donna