Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161.5/145.5/125
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default low carb foods list

Hey I'm brand new ! I'm planning to start my low carb diet tomorrow! I went out today and bought some low carb bars and shakes but they are pretty expensive as you may know!
I also have been searching on the net for a list of low-carb foods that I can include in my next grocery list! So far all I've turned uop are recipes and such! Does anybody know of a good website that lists foods and their carb counts! Please let me know the link!
Thanx
Ann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 13:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Ann. The list in the Atkins book is probably the best place to start. (It's really better if you read the book, too, because it will answer a lot of questions, and give you an overview of the food plan, the importance of supplements, etc. It's also a great motivator, to read those success stories, and it will give you the answer to questions friends and family may ask you.)

But a good basic list for induction foods are meat, fish, eggs, cheese (not processed meats and cheese). Salad vegetables -- lettuce, celery--summer squash, broccoli, cabbage. (with butter and salad dressing, real salad dressing, not low fat!)

The low carb shakes and bars don't really go well with induction, which only allows 20 grams of carbs a day. The bars have "hidden carbs" -- carbs that aren't counted in the carb count.

You can do a lot with these basic foods. Check out those Low Carb Tips on the orange bar at the top of the page. Karen has a list of ideas on how to jazz up induction -- even if you don't like every item in her salads, say, you'll get some great ideas.

One of the best ways to start out with low carb is to make a list of the allowed foods that you LIKE -- cheeseburgers (without the bun, but with all the fixin's) say, or fried chicken (fried in oil, no breading). When you start getting bored with these is the time to poke around and find some recipes.

In addition to all the info on this site (check out the Hot Links thread on Newbies Questions!) this is a site that has several induction menus that might help get you started:

http://users.erols.com/dyandan/links.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by alto : Sat, Apr-06-02 at 13:18.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:51

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with Alto, the best thing is to read the book you can find it at walmart for about $ 5.95. It has a list of allowed foods and the amounts you can eat while on induction... I hate to say this but low carb bars and yes even atkins say they only have a couple of carbs but in reality they have at least 9 carbs a bar.. I dont know much about the shakes...

The best shopping list for now is meats , real butter, cabbage, brochlie, coliflower, salad stuff, cucumbers, tomatoes, sour cream, heavy whipping cream liquid form, eggs, cream cheese (not the lite kind either) olive oil, olives(black), real salad dressing (try to find one low in sugar and low in carbs) the best i have found is blue cheese, romano and parmasean cheese kind, or any thing you can find thats low in carbs, cheese ( real cheese) , string cheese

Those are just a few items. The book is loaded with great information that will help you out... Its worth buying and reading over and over... There are some other books as well I hear people talk about also..

Hope this helped..

Good luck

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:54

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Opps forgot the most important part

WELCOME ABOARD.........this is a great forum full of support and answers... The people here are great and offer great advice...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 19:58

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Assuming that you have DANDR (and if you don't, then get it) there is a decent carb counter - and removable if you like - in the front cover.

But during Induction, your choices are very clearly spelled out. Go to page 121 and really thoroughly understand the Rules of Induction. Starting on page 124 is the list of allowed foods during Induction. Stick to it. These should also make up the core of what you eat after Induction. Then, once you are off of Induction, there is a list on page 171 that spells out the order in which you should start adding in other carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161.5/145.5/125
BF:
Progress: 44%

What is DANDR???
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 16:12

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sorry.

DANDR is "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" - the latest version of his book (came out in 2000 or so with the first paperback printing in Jan 2002).

Shorthand abbreviations are real common on any Internet forum - this one is no different. Most of the real common ones can be found in the Low Carb Tips link on the orange bar at the top.

HTH (Finding that one is your next assignment - I never did figure it out until I finally stumbled on the abbreviations link.)

Cheers!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 18:23

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

HTH: hope that helps? I refuse to go to the abreviations link, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh and welcome annl80