Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 11:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Lightbulb IRS: Weight Programs Tax Deductible

IRS: Weight Programs Tax Deductible
Tue Apr 2,10:44 AM ET
By CURT ANDERSON, AP Tax Writer

WASHINGTON - The cost of weight-loss programs that are part of the treatment for diseases such as obesity are tax deductible, the Internal Revenue Service (news - web sites) ruled Tuesday.

"Obesity is medically accepted to be a disease in its own right," the IRS said.

Taxpayers who participate in these programs for medically valid reasons will now be able to deduct amounts above 7.5 percent of their adjusted gross income, similar to any other medical expense not covered by insurance or other reimbursement. A taxpayer's spouse and dependents would also be covered.

Still not deductible, however, are the costs of weight control programs intended "to improve the taxpayer's appearance, general health and sense of well-being."

Diet foods also are not be deductible, even though they are often an integral part of a weight control program under a physician's supervision. The IRS reasons that people have to pay for food whether or not they are trying to lose weight.

Fees, diet menus and literature and other costs would be deductible.

The IRS specifically cited obesity and high blood pressure as examples of diseases for which the deduction could be taken. But it would apply to any specific ailment diagnosed by a physician, including mental illness.

The ruling applies not only to 2001 income tax returns ? which are due April 15 in most of the country ? but as far back as 1998. Taxpayers who want to take the deduction need only file an amended return for the tax year in question.

The IRS also recently included smoking cessation programs as deductible medical expenses, as are treatment and other costs for alcoholism.

___

On the Net:

IRS:http://www.irs.gov
---
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm.../taxes_weight_1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 15:38
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I saw this in the paper today and photocopied it to post here. You beat me to it!

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 10:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I usually get them emailed to me by Yahoo alert, by selecting news clippings based on key word search. Quite a handy tool.

Would be nice to see more details on what may be deducted. My suspecion is that it would be for slim fast and the like, appetite suppressants, etc.

Wa'il