Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/153/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question pork rinds

I was told by a friend that i could eat pork rinds for a snack. I am on my 2 day of induction and i was trying to find out if this was true. It says on the package there are no carb but i didnt know if there were hidden carbs in them and i cant get it to come up ont he carb sounter any help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 12:29
Registered Member

Stats: 288/270/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Wink pork rinds

I'm new to all of this as well however if the label says
total carb 0g then it's ok i just heard that if you take the fiber count and subtract that you get the net carbs
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 13:03
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb reply

thanks for your input i was just kinda checking before i put them in my mouth lol
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 13:59

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

A quick way to estimate hidden carbs.

From my bag of rinds:

Total Calories: 80
Calories from Fat: 45
Protein: 9g
Carbs: 0g
Fiber: 0g

Take the total calories and subtract the calories from fat.

That gives me 35.

Divide the result by 4. This gives you the number of grams of protein, carbs and fiber.

The result here is just under 9g. (8.75g)

Now subtract the protein grams and the fiber grams and what's left is a decent estimate of the carb grams you should count. In this case it comes out negative so count it as zero.

There are both rounding errors in the labelling and errors in the assumption that there are 4 calories per gram of protein and carbs. But this will identify foods that have significant hidden carbs in them.

And with just a little practice it's something that is very easy to do in your head looking at the package in the store.

Watch out for other flavors of pork rinds - some of them add considerable sugar. Also, just because pork rinds are OK to eat, doesn't mean that you will like them. I sure don't. You can develop a taste for them and you can also use them in other recipes as a breading substitute.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Pork rinds are really carb free and I ate a lot of them when I was just starting out, but I've found that all the salt in them has a tendency to make me reatain water, so I don't eat them very often anymore. They do make a good substitute for bread crumbs when you crush them in the food processer, though...great for chicken strips. Just make sure that you dip the chicken in a mixture of egg white and a tablespoon of heavy cream before you roll them in the crushed pork rinds. This helps them to stick better. Something else I do with the crushed pork rinds is mix in some parmesan cheese...yummy!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 16:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Pork rinds are rendered pork skins and pork has no carbs. But watch out for the flavored ones. The BarBQ ones have a few carbs.

Pork rinds make good snacks because you can melt cheese on them, eat them with sour cream or salsa, make a cinnamon snack by drizzling them with butter then shaking with a cinnamon/splenda mixture, etc. They are pretty versatile.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:21
Registered Member

BF:
Default reply

thanks everyone for the information that helped out alot didnt want to over do it ya know? all the answers were a great help
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Stats: 288/270/150
BF:
Progress: 13%

It seems to me that pork rinds are what everyone uses instead of flour they coat with it stuff with it and fill with it

Elaine