Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 07:47

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 137/133/120
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question foods in induction

I read somewhere that for optimum loss in induction, it's best to just eat meats, butter, eggs, seasonings, water and that's it. I've been eating these foods in addition to cheese, bacon and sugar-free jello, and tuna w/ tad of mayonnaise and 64+ oz of water daily. I'm on Day 7 of induction and have only lost about 2 lbs. If I cut out cheese, bacon, s-f jello and mayonnaise, will my weight loss speed up? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 10:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fairy, it's time for some tough love.

It's good to come to the forum to ask questions, but there are decisions you have to make for yourself and these decisions have to come from actually understanding the plan that you are following. So first off, get the new edition of Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution and read it. Read the whole thing, not just the chapter on induction.

Wanting quick results instead of learning how to eat properly for the rest of your life may set off a pattern of yo-yo dieting that will plague you forever. Read this link: Yo-yo Dieting: The Side Effects

You've been a member since July 2001, and have probably read that weight loss generally works by percentages. You have probably also read that it is important to consume fat so your body will not go into starvation mode from lack of calories. In case you've missed it, here are three more links:

Fat and Keeping Calories Up

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

Why 10 x calories?

It is normal during induction to lose 10% of your weight and you've lost 12%. It is also normal to be angst ridden and have lots of questions about "dieting". But it is your choice to decide if you want a diet, or a new way of eating. Doing some research and following through on what you have learned will keep you healthy. Don't mess with your body. Do something that will work permanently.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 00:51

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

A big HERE, HERE to everything Karen said.

When you only need to lose 17 pounds, 2 pounds is a LOT to lose in two weeks. At that rate you'll be at goal in less than four months.

You WANT to lose weight slowly. You are MUCH more likely to keep it off permanently. If I were you, I would commit to finding a carb intake level that keeps your weight loss right in the 1 pound per week rate or even a bit slower.

Focus on health and permanent eating and lifestyle change and let the weight drift in to place.

And ditch this "I read somewhere" nonsense. Don't wing it on LC - that can be bad for you. Get the book, read the book, follow the book. Later you can tweak and tune based on both a sound knowledge of LC and experience with your body's response.

Take care.