Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: the Zone
Stats: 110/110/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Whey protein powder question

is it okay to use whey protein isolate(Proteins+) as my primary source of protein on a Zone type of diet("The Formula")?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Whey protein isolate is an excellent source of readily digested amino acids, and a fine protein supplement. The only problem might the "+" part of the formula you're planning to buy. I'm not familiar with Proteins +, but you want to pay close attention to the nutrient data, and make sure that the carbs-protein-fat ratio is within the 40-30-30 guidelines of The Zone. Especially if you plan to add things to your shake, such as fat (cream, flax oil) and/or carbs (milk, berries or other fruit), which will change the ratios.

Beware if products sweetened with FRUCTOSE .. that stuff sounds "healthy" but it's not .. it's a highly refined carb made from corn syrup, and has even more potential to harm blood vessels and raise triglyceride levels than regular sucrose sugar.

read The Truth about fructose

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 10:15
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question

Just curious, why do you want to use this as your PRIMARY protein source??? Lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy and soy will also provide you with quality protein.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: the Zone
Stats: 110/110/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

The reason I want to have Proteins+ as my primary source of protein because I don't like or eat other dairy products,meat,chicken,eggs tofu,etc.I don't mind eating salmon but I don't eat it often.Basically,I've been a low fat vegan(Mcdougaller)for many years but found that it made me totally addicted to carbs.I'm looking to lose the addiction!Although I'm not too concerned with weight loss, I don't like being hungry for more carbs all the time.Thank you Doreen for your responses!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/134/116
BF:
Progress: 10%

Marty, I just read the Zone, and I got the impression that Sears was big on salmon only because of its fish-oil EPA content. So if you are supplementing with fish-oil, or are simply not concerned with it, you have plenty of other fish options. Also, you can investigate on your own what other fish are high in EPA (I think swordfish is one).

Something else you might look into is the Schwarzbein Principle. I haven't read her book yet, but I noticed she has a vegetarian cookbook (and I think she created it *after* developing the Schwarzbein Principle).