Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 12:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/120/118
BF:
Progress: 89%
Unhappy Help! I'm a Carbolite Chocolate Junkie!

Can someone tell me a little bit more about Carbolite Milk Chocolate Bars? I am an unsuspecting victim of marketing ("0 Carbs!" , the label screams), and I can't stop buying them! It all began when I was looking for an alternative to chocolate (my most cherished, missed carb...especially during the Holidays). I stumbled upon the Carbolite bars, and I've been consuming them like a mad woman! I keep a extremely close watch on my carbs, however, I'm worried Mr. Wonka's "secret ingredients" are going to crash my diet! What experiences are out there with these little addictive bars of malnourishment? (my habit is getting expensive, too!)

I've worked so hard to reach my goal weight, and I don't want manufactured snacks to wreck my new eating habits....but I miss my chocolate friend!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Most of these low-carb bars are high in "hidden-carbs" because they have to last a long time at room temerature to reach consumers and store in warehouses etc. So they are full of glycerine and maltitol, among other chemicals to preserve them.

The best alternative is home-made bars. These don't have to store for more than a few days in your fridge.

There are a couple of recipes for those in our recipe pages and forums.

I'm actually playing with a new recipe for low-carb crunchy bars Looks good so far, and I'll post the recipe when I nail down the perfect recipe for it.

When you make them yourselfe, you know exactly how many carbs are in them, and there's no room for surprises.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 15:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Search Search Search!

Dear Lollianne,
do help yourself to the Search button up there on the top and right of the screen.

There are many threads discussing this very subject, the hidden carbs and dangers in the chocolates especially. Search on Carbolite OR chocolate AND bars and you'll get a wealth of feedback and discussion about this subject, which many of us have run into!

There is also an excellent summary of information on sweeteners, including the infamous sugar alcohols, such as maltitol and lactitol, over there on the right of your screen, one-click access, entitled The truth about low carb sweeteners info, put together by our SuperModerator Doreen.

AND, as Tamarian so rightfully says, when you're ready to kick the habit (?), make your own chocolate. GREAT collection of recipes in the LowCarb Kitchen Forum! Tested and delicious AND sugars-free!