Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 07:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Cheated but not feeling guilty!

Hi Everyone!

I just needed an outlet to tell about my "cheating" the last day and a half. I don't think it was anything TOO major, but it was still cheating.

Tuesday night after my ski school meeting I went out with everyone and told myself I could have just one glass of wine....well, 3 glasses later!! UGHH!! Yesterday was an ok day, did well all day until just before going to bed...I had the Christmas music on and was decorating and decided to have 2 small Nestle Crunch bars, you know the ones still left over from Halloween! Thank goodness my roommate all of the rest of it last night! I have been so good just walking past it and not bothering with it, but yesterday it got to me!!

Well, I am still 5lbs. down since I started on Sunday, so I am off to a great start today! No sense in dwelling on how I cheated, just feels better to "get it off my chest" - now I just need to get it off my stomach, thighs and butt!! LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!

Cheers!
Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 07:49

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Talking

OMG! You cheated and don't feel guilty? How dare you! *beats you with a wilted celery stick*

Just kidding

You have found the secret to doing this WOL and I congratulate you. It's knowing you cheated but you don't kill yourself with regret over it. You just happily jump back on the low carb wagon and continue.

Good job! Keep up the great work!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 15:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thats what we are here for...when U need to get something off your chest. Just wish I could lift mine a little higher....LOL Its the age thing. Anyway ....most everyone deviates from time to time... the trick is to still be in control so that U dont let 2 days go into 2 weeks of carbing out.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 16:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Deb - I'll be honest with you.

I was on your side about the glasses of wine. I thought "Ok, I've been to meetings - I know what it is to need a drink after... " Then you've got me all smiling about the Christmas music.. then you ate Nestle Crunch bars and I gasped and nearly fell off my chair. LOL.

Haven't had one of those babies in about 1 year 10 months
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 08:33

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

hehehe

I am willing to bet those crunch bars don't taste nearly as good, as being thin feels
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 01:22

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have to wonder having a couple of drinks (rye for me) doesn't set us up for wanting sweets or something that isn't Low carb?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 01:45

Plan: no ADDED carbs.....NONE?
Stats: 96/74/60 Female 151cm
BF:too much!!
Progress: 61%
Cool temptation

Only very new and learning heaps!
I have found that a couple of "light" alcohol beers don't give me the munchies. I am happy to report that even though there were three packets of crisps open I was not tempted.......NOT AT ALL LIKE ME!
I plan on having a couple or three beers tomorrow!!!!!(special occasion)Liz
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 01:48

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Ahhhhh, but you have only just begun. Bet your not even hungry right now.....LOL...Good for you. I drank earlier on in this woe too. Didn't bother me, other then getting tipsy very quickly....LOL

Now as time has gone on. I'm afraid, alcohol does give me an appetite. But hey, if all works for you..right on....Enjoy tomorrow.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 05:51

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I definitely can't drink!!! Had a gin and ginger (didn't think about the carbs until it was way to late...to shy to send it back!) which led to a french fry incident I prefer to not remember. This was about a month ago.

I find dealing with cheats an interesting exercise in self discovery. For example, planned cheats seem to go okay. i.e. I'm going out for sushi and I've meal planned for the entire next day to help me through the carb withdrawal that will inevitably follow. I can go nuts and be fine.

On the other hand, last night I had forgotten to take chicken out of the freezer...suddenly found myself suggesting Chinese, putting in the order, picking it up and eating a lot. Also find myself awake at 3:30 a.m. - nauseous, gassy and generally feeling extremely icky. Do I feel guilty? You betcha! Am I paying for it? Absolutely. How am I going to deal with it? First, I'm going to get some sleep once hubby wakes up and can look after the kids because I always feel worse about everything when I'm sleep deprived. Second, I will have a meal plan for the next two days that is strict and allows me back into my comfort zone. Also, I'll try to work out today or tomorrow because that'll keep me in line with my diet. Finally, I'll confess to you guys and my journal and try to figure out why this happened when it did (what else is going on in my life) but not get to caught up in blaming or punishing myself.

I think what I'm trying to say is that dealing with cheating involves a fair amount of strategy in terms of planning and analysis. Like LC Sponge says: what can you learn from it?

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: pregnant so maintenance level
Stats: 136/122/---
BF:
Progress: 89%

Lisa,
Sounds like you have a good stratergy for getting back on the wagon after a "cheat". I too used to feel revolting after eating carbs, until I stumbled upon a way that works for me to not feel nearly as bad physically the next day (I don't know if it works for chinese food tho-all that msg would have me crook for a couple of days ) What I did after a dinner in a restaurant where I didn't veer of the path too badly, but enough to know I'd pay the next day- when I got home I took a couple of multi-vitamins, and 2 grams of vitamin C, drank lots of water, and burned off some of the carbs by doing a few mins of cardio. The next morning I didn't wake up with a 'hangover', and was astounded! So I got up and did a full body weights session to burn up the carbs that would have been in my muscles, getting me back into fat burning mode asap.

This isn't something I use to give myself license to cheat regularly, just for those times it's really difficult to not 'not' eat some carbs. (like when the choices are eat it or starve )

Angela
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 19:00

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Angela -
That shounds like great strategizing too. I think if you have a plan that extends beyond "feel guilty, I promise to do better tomorrow" it really helps reassert your "will" to continue. You don't end up feeling victimized by your own behaviour because you can draw on good behaviours to get everything back on track.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 22:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

There were a couple of posts referring to alcohol and cravings. If i drink I keep it to straight liquor with water. I dont fine that night Im paticularly hungry but the next day I sure am. So I just make sure to eat lots of protein and keep myself full and the day after Im back on track again.