Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 223/197/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:
Default Stir Frying

I've gotten into a rut during the workweek - due to being pressed for time.

I'd come home, grill a piece of meat or fish and have it with a salad or steamed veggie. It got boring and threatened my ability to stick with low carbing.

I've started stir frying and it's a nice change - mostly chicken breast pieces or shrimp, with vegetables.

It occurred to me that I could make stir fry recipes that are not Asian based - For example - chicken cubes, shrimp, beef or pork strips with different veggies, spices and sauces - based on Mexican, Italian or Classic seasonings -

So far I've tried pork with green chilis and sausage pieces stir fried with tomatoes and spinach - each with Mexican or Italian seasonings.

Next I'll make a Chicken Picatta type dish, then maybe a curry.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to compile a list of these quick stovetop meals.

I'm still finding I prefer fresh veggies to frozen - the frozen veggies seem to end up flabbier in a stir fry.

Thanks, NoSox
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 04:42
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

You can buy a thai paste which is fantastic in stir fry's - any green or red one which is low in carbs (which you can find - you just have to look at the neutritional thing) will do.
Also, another really good thing to do is actually use the paste to make a red/green chicken or shrimp thai curry - by adding in coconut milk.
Good luck!
xx
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 05:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 223/197/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Jadefox.

It later occurred to me that I could add a bed of spinach or cauliflower under these dishes and hopefully stop missing the rice!

NoSox
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 17:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Rice substitute

Nosox5...make Karen's Cauli-flied rice and add it to your stir fry at the end. Tonight, I made a stir fry in my cast iron pan, and threw in (at the end) my cauliflower that I had grated in my food processor, turned off the pan and just stirred it together. The cauliflower stayed nice and firm and was a great substitute for rice. I'm pretty sure you don't want to steam it separately as it'll probably get too mushy and watery. I supposed you could steam it a little and put it in your salad spinner to get it dry and serve it separately. I just mixed mine right into the stir fry. Quite tasty.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 05:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You might want to try Konyaku noodles if they're available in your area. Try an Asian supermarket. They require no prepareation - just open the package and heat. I can make quite a passable Pad Thai now.

My other favorite stir fry trick is sliced sausage - any kind - with zucchini.