Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:00

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 225/205/180
BF:
Progress:
Question Lose muscle?

hey, i just wanted to know that if it was possible to lose muscle while your on this low-carb diet! i am 16 year old and i am curently 205 pounds. i am in my high school football team, and i can bench pres 210 pounds. i want to be around 180 pounds so i can look good. oh ps. i really dont want to lose any muscle.. cuz i have been working very hard to get strong... an i dont want to get weak by going on the diet
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:45

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%

Have no fear Allen007 - as far as my readings have told me, you're in no danger of losing those hard earned muscles!

Reason (found in my readings):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All digestible carbohydrates you eat are broken down into sugar (glucose). Insulin is responsible for delivering sugar to all body cells (muscle cells use the most, then the brain, the other tissues) for energy use. When the cells can't use all the available sugar for immediate energy, insulin shuttles the excess to fat cells for storage.

When you're in ketosis, your body has switched "metabolic pathways", using its fat as fuel rather than sugar. Your body releases by-products of fat breakdown (called ketones).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the only things that I have noticed in my readings, is that muscles use up carbohydrates more than any other tissue. There is nothing stating that when you're in ketosis, that you burn muscle...you're just actually using your body fat to run your body instead of the sugar you're consuming.

Hope that helps!!!

Soon2BSlim
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 15:52

BF:
Progress:
Default wow

wow! thanks! in that case im ganna start this diet right now! this is like a dream come true! loseing wieght while eating steaks! yummy yummy! i love this diet cuz its also high in protien.. so its ganna help my muscles get bigger! thanks alot Soon2Bslim
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 18:13

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hey

The diet is great, and you will lose fat and add muscle while on the diet ...

My only concern is that since you are in-season for football the diet may not provide enough energy for you. Give it a try though ... if you find yourself being sluggish or tired all the time, remember to increase your carb intake SLIGHTLY.

Losing fat is good, but if your performance slips, it's no good.

Let me know if you have any questions related to strength training also. I am very experienced in that field, as well as bodybuilding.

Come visit the Exercise Forum also ...
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 20:13

BF:
Progress:
Default thnks :)

hey thanks alot trainerdan for ur advice i will give the diet a try, but if im tired i will do as u say, however during off season i will do the diet to the fullest.

ps. thanks for offering help on weight training, if i have any questions regarding that subject i will know who to ask
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 20:21

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default that's the way to do it

Go at it full speed in the off-season. That's the smartest way.

For now, watch carbs and do what feels right for your body.

good luck and keep us posted.