Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default Hypoglycemia & Atkins

Does anyone here have hypoglycemic problems and how do you adjust your diet to compensate this? I am waiting for the test results from the Dr. but just can't see how it is possible that eating SUGAR will cure my problem....(ie: lifesavers, gummie bears...etc)....I have been having serious crashes in the morning after my workout.....just before I eat my lunch...and then again before dinner, if I can't eat right away. I do try to have a snack (usually nuts or cheese) between meals, but I don't want to increase what I'm eating too much and risk packing on MORE pounds........I guess I'm starting to ramble.......anyone with thoughts to share would be most appreciated!!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 11:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

SlowPoke,

How do you know you are experiencing hypoglycemic problems? Are you diabetic and monitoring blood sugars? How intense is your morning workout and what have you been eating before/after the workout?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default After reviewing info

on line, I brought the problems up to my general Dr. who feels strongly that I am having problems w/ hypoglycemia. I do not currently have any proven problems w/ diabetes, although it runs in the paternal side of my family.....both my father and his mother have adult onset diabetes....I am now 37.... My morning workout is not that intense....I do 30 minutes of running on the treadmill set over rolling mountains...then I do 30 minutes of strength training on the different weight machines....I usually eat breakfast within 45 minutes of exercising. I do not eat before going to the gym since I am up at 4:30 and at the gym at 5:00 am....I am not interested in food that early.....nor am I hungry at all.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoke
on line, I brought the problems up to my general Dr. who feels strongly that I am having problems w/ hypoglycemia. I do not currently have any proven problems w/ diabetes, although it runs in the paternal side of my family.....both my father and his mother have adult onset diabetes....I am now 37.... My morning workout is not that intense....I do 30 minutes of running on the treadmill set over rolling mountains...then I do 30 minutes of strength training on the different weight machines....I usually eat breakfast within 45 minutes of exercising. I do not eat before going to the gym since I am up at 4:30 and at the gym at 5:00 am....I am not interested in food that early.....nor am I hungry at all.

Try eating a handful of nuts before going to the gym. This may help stabilize the blood sugar as your body has something to work with. Having some food item in my body seems to help my workouts.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:25

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am hypoglycemic. After doing Atkins my hypoglycemic symptoms vanished. No more shakiness, migraines are gone, itchy skin is gone. Protein, not sugar, keeps insulin under control.
I am hopeful that I may not become diabetic like my mother.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't get hypoglycemia any more either. Try having a small spoon of peanut butter or cheese. It sounds like you'd do better having snacks and smaller meals.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 12:58

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Eat fat, not sugar

The less sugar I eat, the more stable my blood sugar. If you're crashing, somewhere you need to eat more, or adjust your workout schedule so that you can eat first. Might be more fat at night to tide you over?

Sugar's not the answer; it just makes the hypo. worse.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 13:09

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

My hypoglycemic symptoms vanished too, but when I started lifting weights I started having some low blood sugar problems during my workouts. Try eating something with protein about 1/2 hr before you start your exercise, doing this cleared up things for me.