Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 15:29

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%
Talking Another Newbie diabetic and disabled and addicted to carbs!

Hello to all!
I have been lurking around this site for the past 2 days and am so impressed by what I have been reading. I have gotten very inspired just by reading so many of your posts.
I am hoping this list will give me the I need to stay on track.
I was never diabetic or obese for that matter until I became disabled with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome. I went from 150 lbs to 260 lbs in one year! I had the poor me's and tried to kill myself with junk food
January of 2000 I had gone from 260 down to 212 by following The Carb Addicts diet but a severe case of gallstone pancreatitis has made me type 2 diabetic. I do have a small piece of functioning pancreas left and am grateful because I can get by on low carbing, metformin, and exercising within my limits.
I have a sweet tooth and have been on a 3 day binge and my weight loss has been on a rollar coaster since September of 2002 when I was down to 167 lb. I am up to 200 again .
I really need the inspiration to get off my butt and get motivated again. Before the disabilty I was a nurse for 23 years so I know how bad diabetes can be <sigh> but I still crave the junk food.
I know that I am responsible for what I put into my mouth but living with my DH is like living in a combination candy store/bakery. I can't blame him for my eating habits but when the carb cravings hit--the stuff is there calling my name.
Anyway, that is enough for me at this time. I will be weighing myself tomorrow and jumping back on the low carb wagon again.
Friends and family love me just the way I am but I know that I need to do this just for me.
Any advice, comments, etc. would be very welcomed.
I need to make it this time!
Thanks to all who read this,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy, and welcome.
Cravings can be very tough. I don't get them out of the blue ever, but when the food is around it can be uncomfortable and hard to resist. My weaknesses are salted roasted nuts and starchy chinese food. The nuts aren't so bad, because they're filling and pretty low carb, so even if I do lose control the damage is minimal... however the loss of feeling of control is terrible.
Chinese food is another story. My fam gets it all the time and I have to say no to my favorites like egg rolls, wonton soup, rice, lo mein, etc. I can control myself with chinese, but it's really terrible to look and see all of that and feel like I can't have it. Sometimes I'll have a bit of rice though, but it's just not the same . I mean you want a little of everything like in the "old days", but it's just sooo high carb and high calorie that you can't. Even if I took little bits of everything it would still be a very high carb/cal meal.

I think the trick to beating cravings is to learn how to have small amounts of the "forbidden food", without binging on the whole thing. If you are craving chocolate, have one or two squares of really good stuff with a nice cup of tea. If you want a cookie, have half or a quarter of one. If you want a candy bar, buy a low carb candy bar and eat 1/4 of it. I eat my sweets with lots of low carb/cal sweet things (like strawberries) so it feels like I'm eating a lot of what I like. Half a cup of lc ice cream with lots of berries a sprinkling of chopped nuts and low calorie whipped cream is very low cal and low carb. Little modifications in behavior with food like that will allow you to virtually eat whatever you want without sabotaging your success.

Not only learn to take less and enjoy it, but learn to find healthier replacements for bad food. A big bowl of chilled hood yogurt rich with chopped nuts and fruit is a yummy replacement for ice cream... and it's so low calorie and healthy that you can have a lot, eat it for a snack, and still be golden.

Also, if your husband is keeping foods that you can't control yourself around in plain sight, you should ask him to consider hiding them somewhere. I don't mean that you should ask him to hide ALL no-no foods, but I think it's not unreasonable for him to hide a few foods that you are especially weak around from you. If you were an alcoholic, would he leave booze around?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 16:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 298/285/250 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Nancy,

I'm diabetic as well. I've found that my blood glucose levels have been much lower since I've started. I'm only a few days into this and at times struggling with keeping on track. Based on the advice of others, I started a journal. It has helped me more than I thought. Another thing I did was set an inital weight loss goal. I am 292 today and set my first goal at 250. After I reach that....230...then 200. Good luck and hang in there.