Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 07:59

Plan: YEAST
Stats: 600/600/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Newbie needs Recommendations

Hi,
I am intrigued by some of the things I have been reading on this forum and most of all some of the members starting weights and what they currently are. I have done Atkins pretty successfully about 6 years ago. I fell two years ago and haven't been as mobile since and have also gone thru a divorce. I ate to fill an emotional void and now find I am 30 pounds heavier than I should be. This is THE MOST I HAVE EVER WEIGHED in my life! I started Atkins 2 weeks ago and have not lost a single pound despite the fact that I have been 100%. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I am very interested in this Neaderthin idea. How do I start, what do you eat, any recommendations for someone that really wants to lose the weight but more importantly feel GOOD and HEALTHY again?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 10:29

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

The best place to start is to buy the book, Neanderthin by Ray Audette, which is only $7 paperback (check Amazon and ebay for even cheaper). It's an interesting and easy read and explains the concepts and the way of eating. You can also check out the neanderthin.com website. The general idea is to eat the way our ancestors did as hunter-gatherers before the advent of agriculture.

You're obviously interested not only in weight loss, but in health, as well. Look for the book, Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar & Survival by T.S. Wiley. I think you'll find it fun and fascinating, and it meshes well with this way of eating. I've never seen it in a bookstore--you'll probably have to go online, but again, not expensive.

As to why you aren't losing weight, could be a zillion reasons. You'd have to start by listing everything you're eating and maybe someone here could spot a problem.

Howard
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Zena! I absolutely second Twilight's book recommendations. Neanderthin is a great introduction. Then read Lights Out. Then, if you need more, and you're feeling ready for some critical thinking, read Paleo Diet.

A basic What-To-Eat to get you started is at http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/paleo/paleo.html

And yeah, come back here and talk with us more!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 13:16

BF:

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate it. I will get the books ASAP. As to what I am eating...............

Eggs
Meat
Fish
Veggies
Cheese
ALL NO or LOW CARB
Tons of water

And the weight is just stuck on me! But I am not going to give up. I am reading some Paleolithic Info and it is so interesting. I am going to try that and I bet it works for me. It is very much like the Candida Diets that I followed years ago with GREAT SUCCESS.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 14:05
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hi Zena,
It would be helpful if we could look at the proportions of what you are eating. It's so important to get enough calories and fat in this WOE. You might want to set up a free account over at FitDay This can be linked to your signature. That makes it very handy for the group because we can then see what you're eating and help you tweek it. If you need help figuring this out just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help you get set up. Also having a personal journal here in the forums is a great way to get input on what's going on. You can list your meals there too and your feelings and what's up in your life. It's a nice way to develope community.
As for the composition of your meals, you are right on target except for the dairy. Here in Paleo/Neander Land dairy is not encouraged. It could be the culprit in this case especially if you are eating more than 2 oz. a day. Nuts and cheese seem to be sticking points for women in particular. Many say that by removing them they start to lose. Since nuts are so good for you I would encourage you to give up the cheese first and see what happens. Also, since nuts are so concentrated a food, I would only eat small portions until you know what you can tolerate.
Hope this helps!
Signey
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 12:14

BF:

Thank you so much for your help. I was going to ask what website offered food count helps. Awhile ago I was on an Atkins forum and they recommended the food help site. It was very helpful and once I started putting in what I ate I realized what I was doing wrong. Well here goes..........

Today is my first day to start getting healthy again. I bought The Paleo Diet book last night and started reading it. I have eaten all the correct foods today and you know the dairy thing does make sense to me. When I was on a Yeast Free diet for allergies I lost tons of weight once I gave up dairy. So I am going to do this 100% you guys and thanks so much for helping me. I need a good kick in the butt right now! I have been miserable and really grouchy from all this extra weight and I am driving my fiance CRAZY with it. He says he loves me just the way I am but I don't like me like this! He is being supportive and says he will follow this diet as well to help me. He is home while I am at work now and says dinner will be Paleo 100%! Thanks again and I'll keep you all posted.
PS-how do I link fitday to my signature?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 14:10
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%

Hi Zena,
Sounds like you and your fiance are off to a great start. When you get the chance please buy Neanderthin by Ray Audette too. Most of us here feel that this is the superior book. I haven't read the Paleo Diet book but from studying the replies and comments in this forum apparently the author is afraid of fat. Neaderthin is very inexpensive and since this is a lifestyle you should read different sources and get a broad picture.
Now for the link:

First, make a copy of these instructions so that you can have them by your elbow as you work.

Go to FitDay and sign in w/your password.
Click on "Home" located in the left menu.
At the bottom of the Home screen is "Public Journal" it contains the link to your FitDay.
Copy the link.

Go back to Low Carb Forum.
There is a menu bar that says "Welcome Zena".
Just under that and to the far left is select button that say's "User CP". Click on this.
Go to "Control Panel" and select "Edit Signature".
You will then have a text window to write your information in.
Under the bar that has "Font, size, and color" is a little blue earth symbol with a piece of chain. That is the "Link" symbol. Select that.
This brings up a "Java Script Application" window that say's "Enter the Text to Be Displayed for the Link". In that space you can write a title that you wish to be displayed. You can write in Zena's FitDay, or My FitDay, or you can leave it blank and the url text will be displayed. After you have made your choice and typed it in click "OK".
Another window will come up that says "Please Enter the URL of you Link". Paste in your link location and click "OK"
At the bottom of the main text window are the usual selections to edit. Use "Preview" to see your work. The only text that should be visible is the title you chose for the link. If you did not choose a title the url will be visible.
If you are satisfied with the results, click on the "Save Signature" button located under the "Preview" window.
Now you should go to a posting of your's and see if it is visible at the bottom of your post.
We used to have tons of space at the bottom of the posts for our signatures. Now we are limited to a much smaller field. If you find that your signature has been sliced in half or isn't visible, make sure that it isn't too large to fit in the space allowed. This particular one that we are doing today should fit just fine unless you use really big letters. If you use a normal font size there won't be a problem. I'm pointing this out in case you ever want to add a graphic or something. You can make the letters of the title for the url colored if you wish. You do this by highlighting only the FitDay text within the html text and then selecting a color from the color menu above. Before you start to experiment save the signature. Then you can mess around to your hearts content and if you don't like what you've done you can go back to the forums and as long as you didn't save the work, it will revert to whatever it was saved at before.
So have fun! Don't get frustrated. It can be tricky at first but as soon as you learn the tools it's really fun and not hard at all. You can be quite creative within the parameters.
Signey