Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:21

Plan: New Atkins
Stats: 292/262/160 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question Milk substitute

Hi everyone,

about twice a week I have my Atkins or Keto cereals for breakfast.I was wondering what you use as a milk substitute.

My first idea was buying lactose-free milk, but then I found out, that the carb level is just as high (about 4.7g per 100ml) as that of normal milk, since the lactose is not removed but simply split up by an enzyme to make it digestible (does this word exist???). Then I tried unsweetened soy milk from a health store (2.2 net carbs) , but YUK! it tasted horrible.

Then, however, I found out that Alpro Soya offers a soy milk substitue with only 0.4g of net carbs per 100ml. It said "No sugar, no salt added" on the product. And so I guess the last time I tried soy milk, salt must have been added and that was what messed it up: This new thing tastes delicious , and I am so happy to have finally found something I can use instead of milk. This is yummy, perhaps not as good on its own, but definitely with some flakes.

How do you substitute milk? Or do you manage to give this a miss completely?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:48
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I dont have cereal when I am low carbin (not low carbin at moment due to pregnancy) but I couldnt give normal milk up in my tea!! I would only have a cup in the morning so a splash didnt hurt! and occasionaly one on a night, I couldnt bare cream in my tea and I am not a coffee lover.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Kama,

If you try the Keto warm serials then you don't need any milk - just hot water and some cream to flavour. They're wickedly tasty and set me up just grand for the day.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/192/135 Female 5 ft. 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Have you tried Hoods Countdown Low carb milk?? YUMMMMY!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:07

Plan: my own/atkins
Stats: 287/280/180 Female 68 inches
BF:doesn't even reg:(
Progress: 0%

I was curious about this as well. I LOVE cereal in the morning and my milk is mui importe! If anything for natural calcium intake (ostoperosis is running rampent through my family!). Are these 'substitutes' found in local grocery stores? Can you name them? (if you don't mind). I'm finding the availabiltiy of some of these foods is varying greatly depending on which part of the country you live in.

thanks!
/christine
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:16

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traacy
Have you tried Hoods Countdown Low carb milk?? YUMMMMY!

You can't get that here in the UK.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:19

BF:

Check www.alprosoya.co.uk and have a look at their product range.I guess itīs the "Alpro Organic Unsweetened". It doesnīt say "salt" on the ingredients list, so I guess this is the good one.

I live in Germany, though Iīll be moving to Britain in September. Here I can get Alprosoya products (itīs a German company) in every supermarket, so Iīd just try Tesco or Sainsburyīs etc. Lidl and Aldi are German, too, so you might be lucky there, too.

On the German website you can check the nutrition facts, however, not on the UK one. But it says on my label that the whole thing has only 0.4 net carbs per 100ml, no cholesterol. I donīt know about calcium etc, but it definitely has all the benefits of soy beans.

Solaris, how exactly do you prepare your Keto flakes? Do you soak them or eat them at once? The idea with the hot water sounds yummy. Canīt wait to try it
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 12:24

BF:

Have a look at the "stockists" section on the website, it says where you can buy it in the UK
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 13:20

Stats: 195/175/154 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hiya

You could try watered down double (heavy) cream.

I have this in my tea & it is OK.

Its strange cos I tried a tiny bit of neat cream in tea & it was awful, but when you water it down before adding its fine!!

Hope this helps

Kate (",)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 13:24

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

There are several ways of 'improving' unsweetened soya milk.

One is to add some artificial sweetener, another is to add some double cream to it. Or both! Personally I like it the way it is and now find real milk curiously sweet.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 16:05
Registered Member

Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Default improved soy milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
There are several ways of 'improving' unsweetened soya milk.

One is to add some artificial sweetener, another is to add some double cream to it. Or both! Personally I like it the way it is and now find real milk curiously sweet.

I do it all the time... about a cup (250 ml) of organic unsweetened soy milk (Tesco 99p/l), plus a tablespoon of double-cream, plus 2 minutes of microwaves, plus a bit of decaff, AND a bit of unsweetened chocolate (and sometimes only, 1-2 splenda tablets)... a great breakfast drink for Atkins

(in case you care, it's less than a gram of carb for the whole thing, and about 8 grs of proteins and (including the double cream) about 10 grs of fat, and 3 grs of fiber... it doesn't get much better than that from a LC point of view... and about 120 calories total)
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 02:14
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:

Kama,

The Keto hot cereals are like a porridge. You just put two scoops of the mixture into a bowl, add a dash of cream or butter (or not, as you see fit), add the water and then mix it up for about thirty seconds. Absolutely delicious.

If it's not quite sweet enough for you then you could always add a little splenda as well!?

Most of the online places seem to stock it, but here's a link just to let you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Keto Warm Cereals

If you're not into porridge-type breakfasts then this won't be for you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Stats: 215/168/160 Male 69in
BF:
Default ground flaxseeds (linseeds) as a morning "cereal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris
The Keto hot cereals are like a porridge. You just put two scoops of the mixture into a bowl, add a dash of cream or butter (or not, as you see fit), add the water and then mix it up for about thirty seconds. Absolutely delicious.

It seems as though *ground* flax seeds (linseeds) could replace the Keto cereals in the above recipe, and may possibly be more nutritious, from a LC point of view... they certainly have a very good fat, and plenty of fiber, which may solve a deficiency in some LC diets.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 04:38
Registered Member

Stats: 258/230/154 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default what I use

Hi Kama79
I too used have the Morning Start Cereal and asked a similar question, what to put on it. I used half cream and water. It was quite nice and low in carbs.

Donna.