Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Carnation Instant Breakfast - WARNING

I found Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfast for the Carb Conscious at Walmart yesterday. I picked up a 4-pack, thinking I'd found a new low carb shake to try. It said "0 carbs" on the packaging, or so I thought. I did think this was odd, but figured they had .9 carbs and were allowed to say "0 carbs" or maybe they had smaller serving sizes or something. Anyway, I didn't look very closely at anything until I was driving to work this morning with one in hand ready to drink.

Check it out:

Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary Fiber 2 g 9%
Sugars 12 g**

WHAT?!!! When I examined the labeling more carefully I discovered it had said "0 added sugar carbs". Clearly the "0 carbs" insignia is meant to look similar to other products which declare "net carbs" on their labeling. Add to it that it was merchandised right next to the other low-carb shakes and you can understand my confusion. I feel this is downright deceptive. I know I should have read the label more closely in the store, but I didn't. I blew $5 on something I won't use. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 00:19
Registered Member

Stats: 265/215/190 Female 5'8"
BF:t/o/omuch
Progress: 67%

I feel for you. Personally, I would return the portion that was unopened. Walmart is good about taking things back. Tell them what happened and how you are disatisfied. Carlene
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 02:49
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I would e-mail Nestle and inform whatever your trading standards and advertising authorities are. This is a deliberate attempt to confuse and mislead. That's illegal here and, considering what happened to KFC, I think it's illegal there too.

You can e-mail them here http://www.carnationinstantbreakfas...sc/Contact.aspx

They have whole 'low carb' section, but if you look they are still suggesting 55% of your diet should be carbs. This breakfast is identical to their old 'No Added Sugar' product. It admits in FAQs that they have just re-packaged it. This should be one for the courts.
Can someone feel a no win/no fee case coming on? Go for it!

Last edited by LondonIan : Sat, Jun-05-04 at 02:59.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 08:57
Registered Member

Stats: 125/115/110 Female 5'  1/2"
BF:31/29/20
Progress: 67%
Thumbs down NutraSweet

I had seen this new packaging and, as I have probably consumed hundreds of gallons of regular chocolate malt Instant Breakfast in my younger days, I thought I would check the "0 carb" one out. When I saw that it is still sweetened with NutraSweet, that was all I needed to know. I put it back on the shelf and walked away, feeling a little disappointed. I contacted them and asked if they plan to change their formula and sweeten the Instant Breakfast with Splenda, but haven't gotten a reply yet. This serves as a good reminder to read the label before you buy, or you may be wasting your money.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:29
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

How rotten. I havn't seen theese yet but glad I read this first. I admit to somtimes taking the liquid breakfast short cut from time to time. Thank you for posting the info.

Angel