Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 07:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Best Bathroom Scale??

That's it! I'm throwing out my bathroom scale and in search of a new one. This one lasted a year (Health O Meter digital). A few days ago it started giving me weights that ranged from 202 -212. Grrrrrrrr! Everytime you step off and step on again it gives you a different reading. This morning when I stepped on it it just sort of gave up and turned itself off. I tried putting in a new battery, but that just seemed to make it worse.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good reliable scale that can handle daily weigh ins and can be purchased at a local store like Walmart, Target, KMart, etc.???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Vicki B.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:20

Stats: 215/191/160 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Scales can be frustrating. My old digital (LED display) Health-O-Meter (circa 1991) began behaving just like yours did. I was bent on replacing it with a good analog scale, and tried several (they were all Health-O-Meter. . . they must have a monopoly around here). I wasn't satisfied with any of them. I was almost ready to just mail order a good balance type scale for beau coup bucks when I came across the Health-O-Meter "EverWeigh" digital (LCD display); model HDL903KDI, with 10 year lithium battery. This one I have found to be very in agreement with the balance scale at my doctor's office. I weigh myself before my appt. get in the car, and 30 mins later, usually compare dead on. I think the tolerances on these consumer grade scales varies greatly, and it's the luck of the draw in finding a really accurate one. I picked this one up at K-Mart for around 30 bucks. It's been holding its own for over four years. The only drawback is that when the internal battery goes you either have to toss the whole scale, or have it shipped back to Health-O-Meter for service. HTH
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:27

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I bought a WW scale at Target - it weights for two people, tracks the weights etc. and weighs in .1 increments which I like. It is only a few months old so can't say how it will be in a year but it is reliable - weighs the same no matter how often you weigh or even if you move it around on the floor!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 22:48

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Tonight I bought a new scale - a Taylor Chrome Lithium scale. And I came straight home and weighed. EEEEEEK!! It has me at 5 lbs. over what my other scale said the last time I got an accurate # (for that scale anyway). I know scales vary, but what do I do now? Do I still consider myself as having lost the 32 lbs (thinking that my start weight on my previous scale was 5 lbs. too low) ? It's somewhat depressing.

Vicki B.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 23:14

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Wait till morning and see what you weigh... thats the accurate weight to go by....then if its still higher then you could either assume you are up a couple of pounds with water weight or you could adjust your stats.... either way you still lost the 32 pounds.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 23:33
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I agree with Lipid...you lost the weight regardless...because that would simply mean that your old scale started out 5 pounds higher too. Dont worry about it...you're all good!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 23:36

Stats: 117//! Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I too have the Taylor Lithium scale, and it ups my weight a couple of pounds from the ones at the Dr's office.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 01:03

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have a Tanita scale...one that monitors body fat as well. I bought the Tanita upon recommendation of several people on another forum after my own Health-O-Meter gave up after about a year (one week after warranty expired..grrrr...). My Tanita has lasted me several years so far..........no complaints.........