Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 03:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 110/110/90 Female 4 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy coffee during induction

hi
I have started on atkins just a day back and am doing my second day of induction, my question is can i have caffeine free coffee or tea with a tsp of coffeemate creamer and splenda on induction? i am really addicted to the sugar in my coffee and am having a very terrible time having to do without something sugary to drink please , please help!! is there any drinks i can have on induction other than water? also i am confused about what are processed cheeses? i bought the usual shredded mozarella and cream cheese in the grocery, are they processed? also i bought some deli turkey slices from tyson but read on the label it contains 2 g of sugar, is it okay for me to eat these? i am really to this low carb thing and am having lots of problems trying to uderstand the amount of cheese and butter and meat i should eat....how much of a cup is one ounce? and is it ok if i use cheese and a tsp of butter to make my omelette? please help and advice.
vnd
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 04:27

Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

yes, caf. free coffee is okay on induction, I would use cream though instead of coffee mate stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 05:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have started on atkins just a day back and am doing my second day of induction, my question is can i have caffeine free coffee or tea with a tsp of coffeemate creamer and splenda on induction? i am really addicted to the sugar in my coffee and am having a very terrible time having to do without something sugary to drink please , please help!!

You can have decaf and splenda. Coffeemate has hydrogenated oil in it, but if you use it, make sure you count your carbs. I'd get some cream instead, first chance you get. Heavy whipping cream or heavy cream or half and half.

is there any drinks i can have on induction other than water?

I drink diet soda whenever I feel like it and it has never bothered my weight loss.

also i am confused about what are processed cheeses? i bought the usual shredded mozarella and cream cheese in the grocery, are they processed?

You can have those cheeses as well as cheddar and swiss, etc. Just don't eat Velveeta and cheese foods. Make sure they are real cheese.

also i bought some deli turkey slices from tyson but read on the label it contains 2 g of sugar, is it okay for me to eat these?

Yes, just make sure you count the carbs on the label.

i am really to this low carb thing and am having lots of problems trying to uderstand the amount of cheese and butter and meat i should eat....how much of a cup is one ounce?

Weigh your cheese if you have a scale.

and is it ok if i use cheese and a tsp of butter to make my omelette? please help and advice.

Yes, you can have both. Limit the cheese you eat to 3 or 4 oz a day while on induction. You can eat all the butter you want.

Hope this helps.

#4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:32
Registered Member

Stats: 110/110/90 Female 4 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

hello all
thanks a lot for the replies..i really felt saved when i read bout being okayed for the coffee but then after i read about breaking the addicition, i think you are right! sigh! i think i want to do that and break away from the sugar habit but by god its like going thru hell for me!! anyway i am determined to give it a try!! please wish me luck!
thanks for the info on the cheese and turkey but still i dunno how to measure an ounce!!!!
regards
vnd
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 06:02
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnd
anyway i am determined to give it a try!! please wish me luck!
thanks for the info on the cheese and turkey but still i dunno how to measure an ounce!!!!

Good luck!

As for how to measure weight.... buy some kitchen scales! You should be able to pick up some cheap reasonably accurate ones in any bargain stores that sell kitchen stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 05:16
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi vnd!

Yes, you can have decaff, and as libra81 says, heavy cream is best if you want it white.... the one thing I will say is about the Splenda, which is normally fine to have but ........

Quote:
am really addicted to the sugar in my coffee and am having a very terrible time having to do without something sugary to drink

.... one of the goals of induction is to break addictions like this. It's up to you if you have it or not, it's obviously better to have splenda & decaff than sugar & caff, but if you feel you are really addicted to it, you might want to try and avoid the substitution.

You don't have a lot to loose compared to a lot of people and part of it is deciding whether this is just a "diet" or a way of life.

Personally I did a "clean" induction - I stayed away from all caff (which was hard for me - I was previously drinking 10 - 15 cups of drip filter a day!), pretty much all artificial sweetners, substitute products etc as part of the habit breaking.

I've gone on too long! It's really up to you. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnd
hi
I have started on atkins just a day back and am doing my second day of induction, my question is can i have caffeine free coffee or tea with a tsp of coffeemate creamer and splenda on induction? i am really addicted to the sugar in my coffee and am having a very terrible time having to do without something sugary to drink please , please help!! is there any drinks i can have on induction other than water? also i am confused about what are processed cheeses? i bought the usual shredded mozarella and cream cheese in the grocery, are they processed? also i bought some deli turkey slices from tyson but read on the label it contains 2 g of sugar, is it okay for me to eat these? i am really to this low carb thing and am having lots of problems trying to uderstand the amount of cheese and butter and meat i should eat....how much of a cup is one ounce? and is it ok if i use cheese and a tsp of butter to make my omelette? please help and advice.
vnd

Have you even read the book??? It doesn't sound like it, or you would have the advice you need. If you are doing Atkins, and read the book, it tells you about butter, meat, cheese, and coffee.

You are asking for advice..... my advice is buy yourself the book! It is the low- carb bible....You will always go back to it many times, mine is worn out from re-reading certain sections.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but the book offers so much info on this WOE, that I consider it a must, if you are going to do almost any lo-carb plan correctly.
It will explain to you that a few days of strict lo-carbing the correct way, will rid you of those sugar cravings. And no, you can not have coffemate, real heavy cream and splenda, yes. Coffee is also not on the plan although many people still drink it and still lose. Dr. Atkins suggests de-caffinated coffee.

If you haven't already done it, buy the book and read the whole thing, you won't regret it. Besides it is such a good read