Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Tired all the time lately

I've been on Atkins induction for 4 months now and down 45 lbs. I'm finding it easy because of the limited choices but what you can do with them is really to my liking. I've thought of going to the next phase but then it seems like a WW's flashback of counting and measuring [ick].
My question is - This last couple of weeks, I've been very tired all the time and have no energy. Could this be from being still on induction? Do I maybe need some grains or like in my diet now?I am taking a muli vitamin and an iron supp per day for that last couple of week hoping it would help.
My big fear is that my depression, that has been under control for over a year, is coming back. That was always a sign for me - the tiredness and sleeping not wanting to get out of bed. It's not out of control at all but having this past makes be worry about it.
(p.s. I'm still a HELL of a lot better than I was !!!!}
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 10:15

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I would move onto OWL. You are not far from goal, and you need that time in OWL to learn to eat. I would move to OWL and start up the carb ladder. I am not sure if that is what is making you tired or not as I did not have that problem. I had and still have tons of energy from this WOL, but since you are close it wouldn't hurt to move up and see if that is what it is. Good luck and keep up the great work.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 10:55

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

Try adding 3 or 4 99mg potassium supplements daily and take them with cal-mag. I was getting tired too, but didn't want to add a bunch of carbs, and I found that doing this made a tremendous difference in my energy levels.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:03
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertrats
I've been on Atkins induction for 4 months now and down 45 lbs. I'm finding it easy because of the limited choices but what you can do with them is really to my liking. I've thought of going to the next phase but then it seems like a WW's flashback of counting and measuring [ick].
My question is - This last couple of weeks, I've been very tired all the time and have no energy. Could this be from being still on induction? Do I maybe need some grains or like in my diet now?I am taking a muli vitamin and an iron supp per day for that last couple of week hoping it would help.
My big fear is that my depression, that has been under control for over a year, is coming back. That was always a sign for me - the tiredness and sleeping not wanting to get out of bed. It's not out of control at all but having this past makes be worry about it.
(p.s. I'm still a HELL of a lot better than I was !!!!}

I can't believe you've JUST started taking vitamins. Atkins recommends not just a multi-vitamin, but a MEGA-vitamin. (do you have his book?) I get more tired sometimes and it seems to be due to:

1) If I get more exercise, I need a little more sleep, if I don't get it, I get tired (go figure)

2) If I don't take my vitamins, my body can run down.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 11:08
Northern Mike

oh...btw...you can add a few things without getting too crazy with the counting.

I've added 1sl LC toast in the morning with butter and LC 50-50 jelly(brand).

I've added LC Tortilla's ("La Tortilla") so I don't have to eat EVERYthing with my fingers.

I've added some fruit (cantelope, raspberries) small quantities for lunch for variety.

....one other question...I was doing induction from an OLD version of Dr. Atkins book. In his newer versions, he recommends much more vegetables. Are you using the newer version or older version? If you're using the older version (copyright 1972) you need to update your diet.

Just a few thoughts...hope they help.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 17:50
Registered Member

Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm doing the new revolution one ....and SUPPOSE to be taking a mega-vit, but I forget it most of the time. I'm trying to get more organized with everything so adding the vitamin taking to my morning regime [thank you flylady.com]
I think I'll make an appointment for a blood test too to see where I am in that respect...maybe that will tell me if I'm lacking something
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:17
Northern Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kertrats
I'm doing the new revolution one ....and SUPPOSE to be taking a mega-vit, but I forget it most of the time. I'm trying to get more organized with everything so adding the vitamin taking to my morning regime [thank you flylady.com]

I actually ended up buying a pill box (the ones with the days of the week marked on them..) and setting it out.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 17:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I did a nutrient search on USDA database and found a very concentrated form of potassium is Cream of Tarter. Be careful, you could easily over do it and potassium is dangerous if you get too much. There's almost 500 mg in a tsp of cream of tarter.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 00:06

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

Wow, that's really interesting about the cream of tarter. I wrote that in the back of my Vitanutrient Solution book as a note. I knew about no salt being made of it but that's really interesting. I think it would be fun to find out the exact amount cuz I'm sure it's much cheaper then the pills. Hmmm, don't snickerdoodles call for cream of tarter? Maybe we'll have to come up with a LC potassium rich version. hehe Annie