Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:44

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question Do we really need to rest One day a Week?

I don’t get up from my chair all day long, I am a very lazy person, so I go to the gym every day and do 1hr. elliptical on a Low Fat Zone and then 30 min. for jogging/walking in a more intense workout. This means a total of 1.5 hours a day, this should be good enough but then at the end of the week, when I try to rest one day I just can’t.
I start saying that I have to loose a lot of weight, no time to stop, I need to make up for my slow lifestyle...bla bla bla, at the end I do end up not going to the gym because my legs and mood feels tired, but then the DAYOFF end up being a depress one, judging me all day, feeling bad and a looser.

If I would have a “good explanation” a “good reason” that someone here can tell why muscles need to rest but not for resistant exercises but for cardio. I might enjoy better the day off.

Or maybe you might agree with my inner-voice saying that cardio doesn’t need a day off... I need some external input, and:

Do you PLAN AHEAD this day off, or just the day you feel more blue is the one you choose to be the day off?...

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 07:01
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

when I was just doing yoga / dancing I didn't take days off and didn't seem to see any ill effects. I am a fairly active person though even on the non workout days I have I am normally doing somthing (yard work, walking, biking ect...)
But I have read you can over train your body doing alot of cardio, and end up not doing your body any good at all... not sure how much is alot though
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 08:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Muscles do need time to recover, but I think with the lifestyle you are describing, and the intensity of exercise involved, you are OK every day.

Just watch for the signs of overtraining ... and if you aren't "feeling it" one day, take the day off. Listen to your body, it WILL tell you what it needs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 12:09

BF:

Thanks for the posts, I think I will just listen to my body and try to keep exercising every day at least 30 minutes of cardio the days I feel very low or tired. Is hard for me at this point to know if I am tired because of the exercise or is just an excuse and the truth is that I am feeling kind of depress/blue that day and I have notice that the endorphins you get from exercise helps with this, so I will try to look closer what is the truth.

Thanks…

#5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

I am definitely no expert but I make myself take a day off on Sundays but I dont' think I have to. I do this for my family time and church.

But I alternate betwenn (ABs plus cardio one day) and full body with weight(s)workout the next and I do this over and over. (Switching up the actual kind of cardio and weight workouts I do) but as long as you aren't working the same muscle group with weights, without a day in between, you are fine, from everything I've read anyway.

Good luck
Jenny
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

You sound fine to me but do pay attention to your body. I got almost obsessive last year with my routine and ended up injuring myself and needing surgery. I have just been allowed to start back this week. I missed a year of no cardio but I'm back and promised myself I will take it slow.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:23

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Do something different

You don't necessarily need a day completely "off," but it might not hurt to do something different--maybe not intense, maybe bowling, or walking the dog, or getting out on the lake with your friends. Or something. It's the depression part I'm thinking of--I'd be depressed because I'm not getting out, not always the absolute exercise.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 14:17

BF:

Thanks for your post, and few of you don’t have a journal yet so it was hard for me to jump there and say hi…

I will keep working out..lol
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:12

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 145/108/112 Female 5'6
BF:pregnantEDD5/12/05
Progress: 112%

I really agree with TrainerDan. Your body will tell you what it needs. Most Sundays I take off b/c I really feel my body needs the break, but I usually do some light ab work/a few push-ups while watching tv. Not much, but enough to keep me from feeling like a lazy bum.