Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/151.5/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Redi Whip

Can you eat Redi Whip on Atkins? I want to use a dollop on my sugar free jello, rather than having to whip real cream everytime I want jello. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 18:18

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

If you can control the amount you use, go for it. As for myself, one dollop turns into two which quickly turns into half the can
Be careful, too, because it does contain sugar. And those sugar grams add up with every dollop...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 18:19

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

It contains sugar and corn syrup and dextrose. I'd stay away from it. It's sort of a pain to whip your own, but it's way worth it to know what goes into what you're eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 18:29

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

I think it's a pain to whip it too so I found a way to make it last longer so I only have to whip it once in a while. I whip up a big batch and put some splenda and sugar free vanilla to taste. Prior to whipping it I add a little thicken thin not sugar thickener "you can find it at www.expertfoods.com" and what that does for it is keep it from separating and becoming watery after sitting in the fridge for a number of days. It's really cool. I use it for mocha's with daVinci's chocolate syrup and it feels like I'm cheating!!! hehe
Annie P.S. Be careful not to add too much...I goofed and added too much one time and it came out as thick as cream cheese. Just add as much as they say and 1-2 tsp/cup of unwhipped cream and you'll be ok)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:58

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieFelac
I think it's a pain to whip it too so I found a way to make it last longer so I only have to whip it once in a while. I whip up a big batch and put some splenda and sugar free vanilla to taste. Prior to whipping it I add a little thicken thin not sugar thickener "you can find it at www.expertfoods.com" and what that does for it is keep it from separating and becoming watery after sitting in the fridge for a number of days. It's really cool. I use it for mocha's with daVinci's chocolate syrup and it feels like I'm cheating!!! hehe
Annie P.S. Be careful not to add too much...I goofed and added too much one time and it came out as thick as cream cheese. Just add as much as they say and 1-2 tsp/cup of unwhipped cream and you'll be ok)

I use Xanathan Gum, which does pretty much the same thing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKDS
Can you eat Redi Whip on Atkins? I want to use a dollop on my sugar free jello, rather than having to whip real cream everytime I want jello. Thanks!

I use cool whip, no problems here.

In fact I think it helped me lose faster, since 1 tbsp of cool whip is like 15 calories whereas a tbsp of heavy cream is 50 ...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:54

BF:

Great Value Whipped Heavy Cream is made with Sucrose, but no Corn Syrup, as is Redi-Wip Extra Creamy. The Sugar appears further down the list on the Redi-Wip than the Great Value.

Quote:
Redi-Wip Extra Creamy: HEAVY CREAM, NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARRAGEENAN, PORPELLANT: NITROUS OXIDE.

Great Value Whipped Heavy Cream: HEAVY CREAM, SUGAR, NONFAT MILK, SORBITAN, MONOSTEARATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CARRAGEENAN, GUAR GUM, XANATHAN GUM, LOCUST BEAN GUM, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (VITAMIN E) TO PROTECT FLAVOR, PROPELLANT: NITROUS OXIDE.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
I use cool whip, no problems here.

In fact I think it helped me lose faster, since 1 tbsp of cool whip is like 15 calories whereas a tbsp of heavy cream is 50 ...

DO NOT use Cool Whip, that stuff is made from Hydrogenated Oils, Corn Syrup, and Milk Flavor. It has no actual Milk or Cream in it. Its made entirely from Hydrogenated Oils and Corn Syrup. I avoid it like the plague.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 23:02
Registered Member

Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
DO NOT use Cool Whip, that stuff is made from Hydrogenated Oils, Corn Syrup, and Milk Flavor. It has no actual Milk or Cream in it. Its made entirely from Hydrogenated Oils and Corn Syrup. I avoid it like the plague.

Is it really? Wow I never knew that. I didn't actually read the label, just did a quick once over on the nutrition facts. Since it was such a small amount of energy in it I didn't think it would be that bad.

I will definitely switch to the brands you recommended, they look much healthier.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 20:59

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

sugar is actually the 2nd ingredient in both of them because nonfat milk has lactose, which is sugar.
Heavy cream still has more fat than either of those. I like having the natural, sugar free, full fat cream and knowing that I'm not eating sugar which can throw my blood sugar values out of whack, and cause cravings.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

home made tastes 100 times better! it is easy to make. but heavy whipping cream, and just follow the directions on the carton.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 21:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can actually buy machines that you poor the cream in and it whips it for you, making it just like redi whip. I think it even puts it in some kind of aresol.

I like redi whip, but that's basicaly sugar and transfats, both of which are unhealthy.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 23:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
You can actually buy machines that you poor the cream in and it whips it for you, making it just like redi whip. I think it even puts it in some kind of aresol.

I like redi whip, but that's basicaly sugar and transfats, both of which are unhealthy.

Redi Wip is Cream, Milk, and Sugar. Cool Whip is made entirely from Hydrogenated Oils [Trans-Fat] and Corn Syrup. I avoid Cool Whip entirely, but I will have Redi Wip on occassion. But, only the Extra Creamy, which is made with Heavy Cream.

As for the Sugar content...let's figure it out:

Heavy Cream, Nonfat Milk, Sugar, Mono- and Diglycerides, Flavors, Gum

Fat = 2.5g (4%)
SFA = 1.5g (8%)
CHO = 0.50 - 0.75g
Protein < 0.50g

2.5g (4%) Fat = 7.75g Heavy Cream
1.5g (8%) SFA = 7.25g Heavy Cream

Mono- AND Diglycerides aren't considered Fat and thus aren't counted under the Fat and SFA Content. The only ingredient containing more than a trace of Fat is the Heavy Cream. So, about 7g out 8g has to be Heavy Cream. Since the Serving Size is 8g, that leaves 1g for the rest of the ingredients.

0g Protein < 1.5g Nonfat Dry Milk
0g Fiber < 0.5g Carrageenan
7g Heavy Cream = 0.2g CHO

This means there must be between 0.30g and 0.55g of remaining Carbs. These would come from the Nonfat Milk, Sugar, Mono- and Diglycerides, and Flavors. Up to 0.5g of those Carbs could be Fiber from the Gum. 1g of Nonfat Milk would contribute another 0.52g of Carbs. Since Nonfat Milk appears first, there must be more of it than Sugar. So, the amount of Nonfat Milk must be more than 0.5g. That amount would add 0.26g of Sugars. That leaves 0.04g to 0.29g of Sugar, Mono- AND Diglycerides, and Flavors. Since, we cannot know how much there is of the last 2, we can figure that there is no more than 0.29g of Added Sugar per serving, in addition to at least 0.46g of Lactose in the Cream and Milk.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:14

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle

LadyBelle is talking about the iSi cream whipper--I bought mine online. I have it and love it. I eat SF jello and a big ole dollop of homemade whipped cream just about every night. What you do is pour 2 cups cold cream into the can and add a few packets of Splenda. Then you put the top on and insert a NO2 cartridge in (this is the propellant -- it's very simple to do). Then you shake the can and press on the handle. Voila, you have incredibly delicious whipped cream. You can experiment by putting different flavored syrups or cocoa powder in the cream as well, although I like mine pure! The cartridges cost about 50 cents each and you can buy them in boxes of 10. It will typically take me a little over a week to finish the can (yup, I love the stuff). I've had my cream whipper for more than a couple months now and I haven't finished my first box of cartridges. Costwise I would imagine it works out about the same as buying Redi Whip. And if you eat a lot of cream, eventually the initial cost of the can will pay for itself.

Because there are no preservatives they say that the cream will be good for 10-14 days. I'm not sure if the cream would stay good longer than that, because I've always finished the contents of the can before then!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 23:32
Registered Member

Stats: 142/135/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

if you can find real whipped cream in a can (i use western family brand, but it is only at overwaitea) it is about the same carbs as cream, and after being on atkins for a while, it tastes quite sweet.
good luck....