Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 15:59
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default what is re-feeding?

Does any one here follow this? and what can you tell me about it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 16:44
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Suzana - I don't follow this (well not intentionally anyway ) but I know a very little about it - it has to do with increasing the hormone leptin which has something to do with how the body decides to store fat - the refeeding is supposed to help increase the leptin in the body. EDIT - sorry I was rushing and forgot to say that the refeeding itself is just as it sounds - you consume a LOT of calories in a set period of time - but they are to be a specific type of calories I think almost pure sugar is what recommended - like candies and dry sweet cereals - there is a very precise way of doing this so you should research it well before attempting it. Sometimes people who do a lot of weight lifting or body builders will do a type of refeeding and some dieters will do another type of refeeding once every couple of weeks, the theory being that this will prevent the body from going into starvation mode.

When Wanda (WCollier) was posting here, she did quite a bit of research on it if you do a search here on the forum for leptin you will most likely run across some of her very informative posts on it - or google it and you can check it out at other sources.

Last edited by KoKo : Fri, Apr-16-04 at 17:38.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Thanks KoKo...I will get right on it, It sounds interesting, and if it will boost the stalls I will be happy. Susan
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 07:13
Stepford Malfunction

Susana,

Here's a link to information on Leptin in Wandas journal, this post is rule 3, she posted 10 rules of Leptin (from a book she was reading about it) so if you use this post you can go back some pages to find where she starts discussing it

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...6&postcount=589
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 07:36
Stepford Malfunction

Oh I just couldn't rest till I found it

here is the first post where she starts talking about it -

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
leptin is very complex. I've just read the book for the 2nd time b/c I wasn't grasping everything. Leptin is the primary controller of thyroid, adrenal, pancreatic and sex hormones. These hormones can't function properly without leptin. Problems with leptin also set the stage for obesity, anorexia, immune problems, bone loss, GI problems, liver problems, cognitive problems, nerve problems, fibromyalgia, heart disease and cancer. Therefore, our adipose tissue (that we are trying desperately to get rid of) has a significant endocrine function.

The authors define leptin as "a hormone secreted by fat cells in white adipose tissue, which is sent to the brain to let it know how much fat is stored. The hypothalamus gland in the brain senses leptin levels, so that it can tell how much fuel is in storage. If enough fuel is in storage, metabolic rate can go faster". So the subconscious brain doesn't even know how much fat is stored in the body, yet it's in control of eating behaviors! Leptin is the most important hormone signal gauging fuel (energy) supply.

So technically, if leptin is low, the brain will put out signals to eat. You eat, replenish the leptin stores which then signal the brain to reduce its appetite. But the problem is that almost all overweight people have too much leptin! Our bodies were never genetically programmed to have food available at the blink of an eye. Overeating raises leptin, a side effect of having access to way too much food. Leptin has gone awry. There is a breakdown in proper communication and the brain doesn't get the signal that there is enough leptin on hand. The brain thinks that the body is starving and orders the storage of more fat (slows the metabolism). This is called leptin resistance. Functionally, the body acts in starvation mode.

Not only is the amount of leptin important, but the timing of leptin is also an issue. Leptin levels follow a daily pattern. They peak a few hours after sleep and fall to their lowest level in the morning. Therefore, you should be least hungry at night and famished in the morning. Look what society has done to our hormones. We hardly eat in the morning and eat our biggest meal in the evening. Anyone who is hungry or craves food before bed is leptin resistant. Out of control eating after dinner is the biggest clue that a person is leptin resistant.

Leptin problems are an issue for anyone over the age of 30. Leptin controls energy regulation and without proper energy supply, nothing can work correctly. This is why people have to get healthy before embarking on weight loss.

According to the authors, dietary protein is the "raw material that tells the liver to get into gear". Since leptin is what regulates energy (the metabolism), protein is paramount. They say that metabolism can increase by 30% for as long as 12 hours from a high protein meal. Also a high protein breakfast helps prevent leptin fluctuations later on in the day (as well as control blood sugars). They emphasize paying attention to your energy levels later on in the day and basing them on what you ate for breakfast. For people who don't feel like eating breakfast, it's a symptom that their digestive system is too full of toxic waste from an inadequate job of "house cleaning" the night before.

These are the basics to why the authors created the Five Rules to Mastering Leptin. If you are interested, I will post each rule and explain the reasons for each. I might have to do it over several days.

and this link should take to the page it starts on rather than just a single post

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...9&page=34&pp=15