Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 12:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/189/143 Female 5'7
BF:26%
Progress: 50%
Unhappy 3lb weights?

Hi all of you body for lifers. I am new to the forum . I have been low carbing now for about a month and a half I have lost weight very fast. Now I want to do and be a body for lifer. The only thing standing in the way is that I do not own a weight bench and I can not attend a gym because I have three young children and money is tight. I do own 2 and 3lb weights. will these small weights do anything for me at all. I do pilates now and I really enjoy it. I can already feel my muscles start to grow. Is there any hope for me being a bfL with my 3lb weights? Help? Brandie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 13:41

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 145/108/112 Female 5'6
BF:pregnantEDD5/12/05
Progress: 112%

Any kind of weight training will be good for you. With that being said, (in my opinion) 2-3 lbs. weights will not give you defined muscles or even tone very much. They are extremely light. You may be able to start with some 2-3 lbs. weightlifting, but to see real results, you must get yourself some heavier weights. Stores, such at Wal*Mart carry a decent variety of weights and are fairly cheap. You could also check out a used sporting goods store, such as Play it Again Sports. Until then, you can do some decent shoulder work with the light weights you have. Do arm raises out to the front and sides of your body. Those work well with light weights!

Best wishes!

ps- Investing in a variety of free weight sizes will be well worth the cost, because you can do the entire BFL program with those.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 13:55
Registered Member

Default thankyou Redeemed

thanks for the advice. I hope that I can find something fairly cheap. How much weight are you lifting and how long did it take you to work up to that number? did you lose weight or are you just doing bfL for tone and definition? curious minds want to know. I hope to start soon. Thanks again.Brandie A/k/a Bindy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Probably the most economical weights you can buy is some simple barbell type with the disc weights. You can just lift the bars alone if the discs are too heavy for you at first, but then you won't have to keep buying sets to increase your weight.

I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to anyone else's plan as everyone is different, but lift to what you can. That doesn't mean you won't need to still push yourself to gain muscle. But once you can't do an exercise anymore at a certain weight....stop for the day. Also rest your muscles at least one day before going again (if you do full body). If you split it into upper body one day, and lower body another....then you can do it everyday without injury. Either method will bring results.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 18:14

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 145/108/112 Female 5'6
BF:pregnantEDD5/12/05
Progress: 112%

I agree about the barbell. You can get the large one or you can get two seperate ones, (so you can use them like free weights) and you can get the discs to go on either side. It makes it easy to work up to higher weights or to switch out for lighter weight for smaller muscle groups.

I have only been on BFL for 3 weeks, but have already noticed a big change. I really want to gain weight, (muscle) but have lost since starting. I do have more muscle now though! Exercise has been important to me for a while and was going lots of cardio and light weight training before starting BFL. The muscle definition one can gain on this program is wonderful!

You do what is best for you. Start light and work your way up. I still have a LONG way to go, before I can call myself a heavy lifter, but I am making progress. You asked what weight I started with and what I am doing now. Well, I started using free weights, but very light ones. 7 lbs. for bicep work/leg/glute work, 3-5 lb. for shoulders. Now, I am doing 10-15lbs. for bicep, 5-10 lbs. for shoulder, and 150lbs. for squats and 15-25 lbs. for lunges. Pretty good for only my third week.

Hopefully you will find what you need to get your program started. I am on a tight budget too, so please feel free to ask questions about how to find/get stuff cheap. Do you have the BFL book? If not, I saw one at Goodwill two days ago. I am willing and able to go find out if they still have it- only $1.99. I could buy it for you and send it to you. You would only have to pay the cost of the book and the actual shipping cost. Just let me know.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 19:18
Registered Member

Wink Redeemed

Thankyou so much for the offer. I do have the book right now I checked it out at the local library . I am also going to sell an extra hp computer that I have and buy some weights. I have lost almost fiftylbs and I need to tone this up. I also jog I love to feel the wind in my face. even though it makes me feel fit . Jogging just does not build the muscle that I want. I have three baby's worth of flab to tone. Thanks for the support. You're very nice.I have a question . How do I post my pic? I am very glad to finally have some support ,I never knew about these forums. I searched google for low carb support and there it was. thanks again Bindy